Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should know this, and I searched everywhere but I keep getting mixed answers. I'd prefer to hear from someone who has actually DONE the head swap before... which cam gear do I need? And does the b7 distributor work correctly with no timing issues?

·
Registered
6 Posts
you need to use the older b7/z6/a6 cam gear (the ugly pressed steel one)

as you know, the 1.6 head on the 1.5 block causes the cam to be half a tooth out of time with the crank on the Y8 gear. you may also know that the newer D series cams (y7/y8 etc) are indexed differently, being half a tooth out compared to the older ones. thus, if you combine the half tooth difference created by the head swap and the half tooth indexing difference, you should get back to a 1 tooth difference, if that makes sense.

basically, you should be a tooth out, not half a tooth, which is easy to correct :)

i've not run my engine yet, but the old cam gear was the only one that statically timed right, the y8 would always end up a half tooth out. when i get my engine in and running i'll see if i'm timed right, a tooth advanced, or a tooth retarded.

feel free to correct me people, as i say, i dont know how well this setup will run yet...

cant really help with the dizzy matter tho i'm afraid, i'll be running carbs and a d13 dizzy. i imagine it will depend on what ecu you are using... if you just run vtec from an RPM switch then i imagine you'll be okay but i doubt it will work 100% correctly with a vtec ecu...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts