Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Civic DX Sedan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and had a few questions regarding a recent acquisition of mine. Girlfriend had a 95 Civic DX with an auto tranny which blew a Head Gasket so I believe. Its been sitting on some property for some time now and I was complaining about how bad my gas mileage was with my truck and she suggested that I could have the car if I could fix it. So I went out the other day and made sure it wasn't stuck after sitting so long and it turned over and started :). So now I'm in business.

Now I'm pretty sure it's a D15B7. If i'm wrong please set me straight. Anyway, did a compression test on it today and the results were pretty shitty.

Cyl#
1. 120 psi
2. 135 psi
3. 157 psi
4. 150 psi

It's my understanding that the low reading between cyls 1 and 2 indicate that the head gasket is probably blown between those two cylinders? Manual states that 184 psi is the normal reading and 135 is the minimum. Since even my best reading is 27 to the red of normal, it's also my understanding that there is some blow-by? I forgot to take the oil cap off today while it was running to see if there was any noticeable blow-by.

Anyway, aside from that my question is, would this engine, which likely hasnt had any thing to the tune of timing belt, water pump etc. done to it be worth the effort to re-ring the pistons if needed? The odometer stopped working a long time ago but I'd be willing to place money on the fact that it likely has 180k - 200k actual miles on it.

I'm not ever looking for something to take to the strip or anything. I'm looking for a get me to work and get my groceries beater that gets some sweet mpgs.

By the way I'd like to say HI to everyone and go ahead and thank everyone for taking the time to read this lengthy post. l hope you can give me some advice and suggestions. Thanks in advance!

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
You cxould easily find another B7 used for $200 bucks and under.
I would just replace the whole engine and call it day.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
if your just looking for a car that gets you around, change the HG, waterpump/timing belt and drive the thing.

if you want more power, find a d16z6 and swap it in....

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
if you have the skills and knowledge id rebuild it. quick hone and rering,new bearings and gaskets good as new and can be done for about 150 and a little time but if this is the route you chose use a z6 head gasket its mls not composite, less likly to blow again and give a little bump in compression

1 - 5 of 5 Posts