Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the differences were between the d16a6 and d15b7 head since they are both 16 valve non-vtec heads. I'am asking because my girlfriend has a 1995 dx civic and I have a spare d16a6 shortblock in my garage and was thinking I could build the a6 shortblock and use the b7 head to keep things easy and have the ability to use crome. are there and turbo cams for the b7 head or is it possible to use a cam from the a6?

·
D-series WTF?!?!
Dyno GT Racing Bike
3,674 Posts
the swap is not much of a difference just make sure u have the A6 head gasket just in case but a new one cause some headgaskets turn to yucky shit!!! other then that compression numbers will be different but nothing to worry about just make sure ur timing aint wrong!!!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why would the compression be different? the combustion chambers are different sizes?

my plans are to use the a6 shortblock I have in my garage after it is rebuilt with forged pistons/vitaras and eagle rods. I will use the obd1 head so I can run crome and to save on stuff I need. I already have all the stuff I need to go turbo from my 91 turbo d16z6 crx

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
at c-speedracing it says that the b7 and a6 heads are both 38cc which would mean they would have the same compression ratio with identical pistons

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
the compression would NOT change at all!!

the castings are exactly the same. the valves are the same. the cam gear is the same

the main difference is the cam. but if you want to use the cam in your 1.5, you need either a y series cam gear or an adjustable one to correct the cam timing

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
ryan is correct and the later in year as 94-95 the same spring as the a6.

·
Registered
8 Posts
only thing i would check is block warpage. remember i fyou get it machined. and they deck your block meassure it!!.. cause your compression just went up ..Depending.. on how much they take off.

·
Banned
12 Posts
wfocrx: You lucky dog; I've got a D15B7 too, and have known about the D16A6 cam hop-up play for a while. My problem is I can't seem to be able to locate a D16A6 head! They're getting harder and harder to find.

Can anybody tell me where to scarf up a D16A6 cam? I'll settle for buying the whole head if I have to, just for the cam. Thanks.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
IMO, I wouldn't buy a 260 in case you were going to settle for a stock type replacement. I can usually get a6 cams out of the junkyard for $30 and the delta 260 gives very little over the a6 cam, not $90 worth anyways.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts