Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i’ve heard that the jdm d15b is better for boost because of better r/s ratio. i’ve done some research on r/s ratios but i don’t quite understand it. would there be any advantages to building a d15b7 minime with vitaras for boost over a d16a6 vitara mini me, because of the rod ratio, and would there be any disadvantages (assuming rods are aftermarket) i put it in zeal and it has a good CR, but i don’t hear a lot of people doing that and usually in older cars it means that it’s not worth it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're worried about the R/S ratio, but want to run Vitaras?

Still yet to hear a good reason why anyone would run Vitaras.
vitaras are cheap and super strong. like i said i don’t really know anything about r/s ratios and so i don’t know how important it is

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,237 Posts
I did the b7 with vitaras and long rods.
also done 1.6 bottoms ..
build what you got don't over think it..

because I can run 87 octane and still make over double factory hp .

and IF I want I can rebuild over the winter with new pistons just for fun and I'm not stuck eating oatmeal out of necessity ..

I have yet to hear a good reason why anyone would run forged with under 300hp..

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,403 Posts
I have yet to hear a good reason why anyone would run forged with under 300hp..
so one day when I can afford to upgrade my turbo, I know all Ill need to upgrade is my turbo lol.

my whp goal is 250 lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so after some more research i’m getting the impression that r/s isn’t that important if i’m not pushing 10k rpms and 500+hp

uild what you got don't over think it..
so i’m buying someone’s unfinished ej turbo project (comes with y8 and a6, big and small turbo) and i dont want to use the y8 block, so i want to put the big turbo w/ a6 mini me in my eg, and small turbo w/ my old b7 in the ej or something and sell that. do d16 rods fit in a d15 (with y8 pistons)? my goal for the eg is ~325whp and for the ej like ~220-250ish?whp

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if it is a d15b2/7 no.
so is it safe to do ~5psi or so on a stock b7? or would it be better to go a6 pistons with b7 rods? basically i’m just trying to get some more juice outta the b7 with my extra parts, without losing reliability, and without losing all my torque bc low CR. this is my first time dealing with boost so sorry for the stupid questions.

btw i’m gonna be running and a6 cam idk if that makes a difference for boost

·
4,403 Posts
psi = dick. it doesn't mean shit. a t28 running 10psi is not the same as a 6266 running 10psi.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
psi = dick. it doesn't mean shit. a t28 running 10psi is not the same as a 6266 running 10psi.
i knew it was different as far as hp, but does it affect CR? and not sure what size, but it’s a pretty small turbine. how much can b7 rods and pistons take?

·
4,403 Posts
dude, there is a search feature at the top of your page. iirc, b7s are probably the weakest rods, but (again, if you searched) the rule of thumb is 200hp STOCK

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dude, there is a search feature at the top of your page. iirc, b7s are probably the weakest rods, but (again, if you searched) the rule of thumb is 200hp STOCK
alright, thanks. i have searched, but no one is using stock d15 internals.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,237 Posts
so is it safe to do ~5psi or so on a stock b7? or would it be better to go a6 pistons with b7 rods? basically i’m just trying to get some more juice outta the b7 with my extra parts, without losing reliability, and without losing all my torque bc low CR. this is my first time dealing with boost so sorry for the stupid questions.

btw i’m gonna be running and a6 cam idk if that makes a difference for boost
never bothered boosting a stock d15 ..but it should be ok.

use the b7 cam

·
Registered
^^^^
2,153 Posts
Yeah, stock B7 / B2 rods for boost aren't really an option. Have you ever seen them? They're like little chicken legs. You could do mild boost on an A6 bottom with the stock rods.

However, I have always had love for the B7 and love to see people using B7's for their projects. But if you want do mild boost without the bother of replacing rods, rock the A6.

The B7/A6 head is practically identical other than the cam. The mid/late 93+ B7 heads even have the same springs as the A6.

There was a dude years and years ago that boosted a stock B7 @ 5 or 6 psi. I think it had 160,000 (or close) miles when he did it. Completely stock. He drove it for well over 10,000 miles like that. It may have even been 20,000 miles. It was a long, long time ago. Either way, he got away with boost on those chicken-leg rods for a long time. A LONG time. Love that story.

·
Registered
1993 Del Sol
25 Posts
You're worried about the R/S ratio, but want to run Vitaras?

Hahahaha this caught my attention. I guess he must've done some research after posting that lol. I have the Vitara plus custom length rods combo in my d16Z6 with a T3. C/R is 8.5:1 and even off boost it feels great.....what's wrong with Vitaras that you know that you haven't shared?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, stock B7 / B2 rods for boost aren't really an option. Have you ever seen them? They're like little chicken legs. You could do mild boost on an A6 bottom with the stock rods.

However, I have always had love for the B7 and love to see people using B7's for their projects. But if you want do mild boost without the bother of replacing rods, rock the A6.

The B7/A6 head is practically identical other than the cam. The mid/late 93+ B7 heads even have the same springs as the A6.

There was a dude years and years ago that boosted a stock B7 @ 5 or 6 psi. I think it had 160,000 (or close) miles when he did it. Completely stock. He drove it for well over 10,000 miles like that. It may have even been 20,000 miles. It was a long, long time ago. Either way, he got away with boost on those chicken-leg rods for a long time. A LONG time. Love that story.
ha no i actually have never seen most of these parts in person. i took off my b7 valve cover once. it was super clean :) i’m the only honda owner in my family, i’ve grown up with toyota’s, 20/22r, 18rg, 3sfe, 2jz, and i haven’t taken apart my b7 bc it’s my DD. i’m doing tons of research so i don’t mess things up. i think im gonna leave the a6 turbo in the car (swap out the cam tho for the b7 eheh) and try to sell it as is and then try to trade the y8 block for a z6.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts