Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exterior
Just upgraded my 88 Crx HF (b6) with a B7. Mods- A6 cam, z6 intake manifold and throttle body, b7 exhaust manifold, mild diy port job, thin metal head gasket, head shaved about.050, diy intake tube (stock air box) 😉, DX transmission with 5th gear replaced with a .702. Cam timing seems to be advanced about 1.5 degrees (my degree wheel and dial indicator are crap). Still running the HF ecu, distributer and o2 sensor. It does run and pull amazing compared to the b6, but falls on it face when I hit the rev limit at 5K. My question is- if l upgrade with a p28 ecu (l have one) and go obd1, would l feel any significant improvement other than the rpm increase??? Your thoughts please…

Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI, 95 Civic HB CX
2,237 Posts
but falls on it face when I hit the rev limit at 5K
That thing looks very clean man, good job! Love the fact that you retained the proper true cold air intake (stock air box FTW) and for some reason the brown left engine mount is very visually appealing haha.

The thing has a 5k rev limiter? Lmao, if its really a limiter and not a form of limp mode, with all the work you've done so far that engine is just waking up at 5k haha.

I see an injector resistor box, so I have to ask, what injectors are currently in it?

The P28 is a VTEC ECU, so without being able to mod it to disable VTEC and VTEC oil pressure switch feedback among other functions to not encounter a fault, just plugging it in to the car with an OBD0-OBD1 jumper harness you'll likely hit a limp mode with it when you go to rev it out.

In my opinion, the work you've done (so long as the injectors can support it) will benefit most from getting either street or dyno tuned with a tuner who knows what they're doing, and modifications done to the P28 for allowing real time programming (i.e. Moates Demon 2/Neptune RTP, Hondata S300/SManager, Moates Ostrich/Burn2/HTS and some chips, etc.).

Your engine will likely pair well with the stock P28 out-of-VTEC (low cam) fuel and ignition maps, although it will require some work up top in those maps to really get power to follow through to 7-7500rpm.

Short of going to a P06 and capping yourself at a 6500rpm redline, you're at a point where there is no other real good plug and play ECU solution that will unlock full potential, it really needs a tune for it to shine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That thing looks very clean man, good job! Love the fact that you retained the proper true cold air intake (stock air box FTW) and for some reason the brown left engine mount is very visually appealing haha.

The thing has a 5k rev limiter? Lmao, if its really a limiter and not a form of limp mode, with all the work you've done so far that engine is just waking up at 5k haha.

I see an injector resistor box, so I have to ask, what injectors are currently in it?

The P28 is a VTEC ECU, so without being able to mod it to disable VTEC and VTEC oil pressure switch feedback among other functions to not encounter a fault, just plugging it in to the car with an OBD0-OBD1 jumper harness you'll likely hit a limp mode with it when you go to rev it out.

In my opinion, the work you've done (so long as the injectors can support it) will benefit most from getting either street or dyno tuned with a tuner who knows what they're doing, and modifications done to the P28 for allowing real time programming (i.e. Moates Demon 2/Neptune RTP, Hondata S300/SManager, Moates Ostrich/Burn2/HTS and some chips, etc.).

Your engine will likely pair well with the stock P28 out-of-VTEC (low cam) fuel and ignition maps, although it will require some work up top in those maps to really get power to follow through to 7-7500rpm.

Short of going to a P06 and capping yourself at a 6500rpm redline, you're at a point where there is no other real good plug and play ECU solution that will unlock full potential, it really needs a tune for it to shine.
Stock injectors from the d15b6…

1 - 4 of 4 Posts