Hey all, i just bought a 93 hatch with a d15b7

this is what i got

Specs:
D15b7
p29 high compression pistons
shaved/ hot tanked rebuilt head
new seals/gaskets
new head gasket

the guy was going all motor high comp, and he said it needs a fine tune, but it runs really good.

i was wondering if i needed to chip my ECU or what so i can tune this, and how much do you think it would run me for a "light tune"?

·
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1
95 Del Sol Si
560 Posts
youll need a chipped ecu to tune it or a standalone, chipping your ecu and running CROME will be your cheapest option. Also tuning can vary especially if its dyno compared to street, youll need an wideband AFR if its street but most dyno tuners will have an O2 sensor they clipe to your exhaust so in that case you wouldnt need one.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright good info, which ECU should i go with?

i just remembered i have some local tuner friends that might be able to help me out, ill ask them if theyre familiar with using chrome.

·
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1
95 Del Sol Si
560 Posts
to be honest i dont know shit about D15's lol, my D16z6 runs a P28 ecu which is what comes with the car, its also chipped and tuned with crome. with your hatch being a 93 means its OBD1 which is good cus crom only works with obd1 ecu's, check to see what ecu your car has stock i wana say if its manual you can run a P28 but im not all that sure.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The ecu you have is probably a p06 and it can be chipped and tuned with crome. The p06 is a non vtec ecu but If you ever go vtec hardware can be added.

A street tune with a little less timing and some tweaking on the fuel will probably do just fine.

How far is the head shaved? If its a lot you may have to correct cam timing also.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i heard a p28 would work if i threw in an a6 cam which i plan on doing, i have the cam and the y7 gear so lets see, still looking for a second opinion.... time to do some searching, appreciate the info tho!

and im in tampa! saw your in ocala, FLife baby!

EDIT** just saw your post, ah isnt that from the a6 si engine? i can find one cheap then.

i cant really remember but he said .30 i think? i read that inbetween .20-.40 is ok

·
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1
95 Del Sol Si
560 Posts
Ya sorry if I'm wrong about the ecu, I had to goto tampa for my dyno tune, I used the dyno at z fever racing maybe you've heard of them?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Using a stock vtec ecu with a non vtec motor = problems/check engine lights. I would just chip what you have.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya sorry if I'm wrong about the ecu, I had to goto tampa for my dyno tune, I used the dyno at z fever racing maybe you've heard of them?
yeah! ive heard/ live real close to where they work

and no problem man, import faceoff coming soon, hope ur out there!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just saw your post

i cant really remember but he said .30 i think? i read that inbetween .20-.40 is ok

so p06 chipped on chrome street tune is my new goal

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
P06, P28, P30, P72. All of those ECUs will work, whether its auto or manual. P06 is non vtec and can be converted for $15. A P72 and P30 can sometimes have knock boards inside which make them "worth more" even though its basically useless and just takes up space. All of them can run the same .Bin file, so its just a matter of what you have or can come across cheap.

Chipping isn't hard if you have some soldering skills. I'd suggest anyone on this site who does these on the side to do it as we wont rape you on price and are usually pretty fast. PM them or make a WTB thread looking for ECU service if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, most of us ship them back with a basemap as well for your setup with the options you request, this basemap will allow you to safely drive to a tuner to be professionally dyno tuned or street tuned.

Let me, fuse, schardbody, or multiple other users know if you need any more help.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
P06, P28, P30, P72. All of those ECUs will work, whether its auto or manual. P06 is non vtec and can be converted for $15. A P72 and P30 can sometimes have knock boards inside which make them "worth more" even though its basically useless and just takes up space. All of them can run the same .Bin file, so its just a matter of what you have or can come across cheap.

Chipping isn't hard if you have some soldering skills. I'd suggest anyone on this site who does these on the side to do it as we wont rape you on price and are usually pretty fast. PM them or make a WTB thread looking for ECU service if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, most of us ship them back with a basemap as well for your setup with the options you request, this basemap will allow you to safely drive to a tuner to be professionally dyno tuned or street tuned.

Let me, fuse, schardbody, or multiple other users know if you need any more help.
awesome this sounds like my best option

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
^^^Fuse is back^^^

What?
When?
lol...:bigok:
Hi. Ya im back don't know if Im up for making money much any more just giving advice (thanks cfab). Sold some of my stuff maybe will get it back up and running??

Main goals in life are still keeping the family happy trying not to let cars overtake my life again lol.

Have cfab chip your ecu he is very knowledgeable and could pull of the job easy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts