Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the differential has gone bad. or so i think. when in any gear and accelerating i hear a really bad grinding noise. when going 50mph+ such as on the freeway the noise is gone or inaudible. the actual performance isnt affected as far as i can tell. my mechanic already took a look and was the one who told me it was the diff.

and also the previous owner said he recently replaced the axles and CV joints, which is evident from the new looking axles and axle grease in the bay, and the alignment is way off. i'm suspect that this is why the differential has gone bad.

forgot to mention that i already picked up a 95 VX tranny for about 50 bucks. should i rebuild the VX before installing?

thanks ahead for any info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
b7 is open differential, just junk the trans for an si version
thanks for the lightning quick reply, i edited my first post to include that I already have another trans to replace mine, a 95 VX. any thoughts on that? im already assuming the gearing is going to suck, but since its a DD it really doesnt matter at this point.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
thanks for the lightning quick reply, i edited my first post to include that I already have another trans to replace mine, a 95 VX. any thoughts on that? im already assuming the gearing is going to suck, but since its a DD it really doesnt matter at this point.
Throw it on, gotta be better than what you got. I would plan on snagging an Ex/Si tranny for the future, but I don't see why you shouldn't toss that other tranny on there, as long as it fits. That I wouldn't know, but I don't see why not. Aren;t pretty much all D trannies interchangable?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Throw it on, gotta be better than what you got. I would plan on snagging an Ex/Si tranny for the future, but I don't see why you shouldn't toss that other tranny on there, as long as it fits. That I wouldn't know, but I don't see why not. Aren;t pretty much all D trannies interchangable?
i'm pretty sure they all fit, as long as hyrdo is on hydro, and cable with cable. (so as to not have to do a conversion)

and i'l start the transfer once i get all my tools back from my g/f's car

·
Registered
949 Posts
it fits, and it will work, but it will make your car feel very sluggish. 80mph in 2nd gear wtf!? :p Of the 5 vx transmissions that I've torn down, they were all in excellent condition. You don't shift much with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.