Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
08 Acura TSX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the winter i am looking to completely rebuild my engine with forged internals, switch to a manual transmission, and throw a turbo in her. i have worked on the car before (have installed full exhaust system: headers, cat delete, yonaka catback exhaust, true cold air intake, throttle body, and intake manifold) but have never done any type of engine work before. Does anyone have any tips for a first timer regarding rebuilds and forced induction? also, what are some good websites to buy quality parts from? i know this stuff is expensive but i am trying to stay in a budget of around $2500-$3000, so no outrageous suggestions please

·
Banned
08 Acura TSX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
D15B7 Project 95 Civic Hatch with 90k

Over the winter i am looking to completely rebuild my engine with forged internals, switch to a manual transmission, and throw a turbo in her. i have worked on the car before (have installed full exhaust system: headers, cat delete, yonaka catback exhaust, true cold air intake, throttle body, and intake manifold) but have never done any type of engine work before. Does anyone have any tips for a first timer regarding rebuilds and forced induction? also, what are some good websites to buy quality parts from? i know this stuff is expensive but i am trying to stay in a budget of around $2500-$3000, so no outrageous suggestions please

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Put your cat back on, man why are people so dumb.

For a noob who has done zero research all I will say is that your stated budget means you can't afford it. Do some :censored: reading.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,285 Posts
when it come down to doing this shit I would say knowledge is power but power isn't knowledge, $$$ is king .

at the very least go to google type in turbo d16 and start reading and don't stop for at least a year,

maybe get a haynes manual and read it while on the crapper

,believe it or not it is entirely possible to get learned.

·
Banned
08 Acura TSX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a haynes manual and have read a bit of it and believe it or not i have googled and googled and googled and have not found too much that is useful, that is why i came here.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
$2500 is not nearly enough for preparing an engine for more reliable boosted power than factory.

Take that money, spend it on either a full d16z6 swap, with harness and ecu, or just swap to a d16z6 transmission, rebuild it with a better final drive, and get to know the car.

You need to save up FAR more money to be able to even GET your money's worth.

If I were to be in your shoes, I would focus more on transmission gearing and suspension and chassis modifications.

a good handling snappy car is WORLDS better than a faster car ready to blow up at any time and handling like shit

·
Banned
08 Acura TSX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay, new plan. i found a 94 civic 5 speed for sale with a for $350 about an hour away from my house. im going to go look at it soon, maybe this week, rip the tranny out of that car get a new clutch and pressure plate. how difficult would it be to do the conversion from auto to manual? im thinking of just having a tranny shop do it for me but i would rather do it myself to gain the experience. after that i will start to worry about engine. maybe put new pistons in (rods too maybe but they're so damned expensive and crowers are the only ones that really work with a b7 unless i swap the head to a z6 or an a6 i dont remember what i read)

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Asking the difficulty level tells me to have you look at the many available how to's and the numerous successful conversions with pictures.

A manual conversion is not physically hard. Heck, the hardest part is getting the shifter setup completed with the mounting plate and drilling, and auto cable bracket removable.

I highly suggest before spending any money, to make a detailed parts list of what will be necessary.

A conversion is usually about the same cost as grabbing a manual car to begin with.

Unless you get killer deals, or that $350 car turns out to be mechanically sound, a manual car is the best way to go.

Ive done 2 conversions, and I am extremely reluctant to recommend going ahead with a conversion unless the learning process is more important to you than the financial sense of it.

It is your choice obviously. Just consider the variables, consider the parts cost, and consider the time. I did my first conversion over the course of 2 days, and that had me running to the junkyard 3 times.

My second conversion took palce nearly overnight, but I had a metric shitton of extra parts at the time and a few friends nearby who had little parts here and there.

PLANNING is the most important part.

·
Banned
08 Acura TSX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i found some good how to articles on auto to manual conversion all i have to do now is get all of the parts i need. good thing is i found that the pull a part near my house has a lot of manual eg civics i will be able to pull parts from

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
main things to check is the welds on the pedal brackets and the shift linkage U joint

Most other parts are either fairly resilient, or should be bought brand new, like clutch master

·
Banned
08 Acura TSX
4 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with synchrotech's transmissions? An S20 for my car is $595. I'm thinking it may be a good deal but I don't know about the whole "remanufactured" thing. Although, I do see that all of their transmissions are built to OEM standards and undergo inspection before being sold according to their website.

Will a transmission from a d16z6 fit on my d15b7?

**slo ninja edit**

message Aquafina and ask him yourself.

·
Banned
08 Acura TSX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hahaha I don't know everything guys! I've been hearing that the d series stuff is all compatible but I am extremely reluctant to going out on a whim and buying a tranny that might not fit on my car. I searched for compatability and all of my searches were pretty much inconclusive. Hell, maybe I don't know how to Google, either way sorry for my ignorance (if that's what you would call it) and thank you for the affirmative answer robgoof

1 - 20 of 31 Posts