Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a 1993 Honda civic with the D15B7 engine. Today I took it for a ride for about 30 minutes and noticed that it smelled like oil and coolant. I looked while it was idle and my friend was driving it and when I'm accelerating there's white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. I popped the hood and noticed a BIG oil leaking that seems to come from the headers on the left (where cylinder number 4 would be) and near where the valve covers closes. Not sure where it was leaking I took an old piece of clothe to wipe it down and see where it would drip from, thing is, as soon as I wipped it off and started driving again the motor started knocking each time I'd take off or shift (Low rpm). I took it to my nearest friends garage who luckily was 2 blocks away and stopped driving it to prevent damaging it.

My guess is that I either have a blown head gasket, exhaust header gasket or something is wrong with my valve cover or head. This being my first car I am rather clueless what it could be and what suddently caused the knocking.. So I'd like to hear what you guys think about this and how i could go about on fixing this.

I also checked my oil level which was close to full and not of a ''milky'' color.

Any ideas? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
duh
883 Posts
if its a knock(bottom end)....
then you need to rebuild.

but its probably headgasket/head problem if theres white smoke out the tail pipe

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
I assure you it's not leaking oil and coolant out the exhaust manifold gasket...unless you have wildly cracked your head, like, in half

I had an issue last year where in my oil water separator came loose from the block and caused me to profusely leak oil and water, stank to shit too...sprayed coolant all over the engine bay, etc...

Use your brain, the leak is coming from somewhere and you have a front row seat to the action, why don't you come back with more info? Maybe a pic of where it's leaking from if you aren't certain what area it is...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I would go take a further look but I've been up since yesterday morning and been working on my friend's car all night so I'm pretty tired and on foot now since I left my car at my friend's garage. I'll take some pictures tomorrow when I get there.

But it seems like I've got some blown head gasket from my research online and from what my friends told me. In that case, I would like to know what are my best options. Change the head gasket by myself or just completely swap my engine?

What could possibly cause the knocking as I've only driven for 30 minutes and wipped of some oil off of the engine to see where it was leaking from?
I checked the temperature of the engine and it was nowhere near overheating, just normal temp.

Edit: I don't think knocking means the same thing in english so people might have misinterpreted what I said, But basically after I've wiped off the oil, when I started driving again when I would let go of the clutch and give gaz the car would go vrrmm, stop vrrrm, stop vrrrmm and only then would launch

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
So you want us to render advice on what to do even though you don't even know what has happened to your car and are largely unable to describe it...go get some sleep and try again with a fresh mind later, you're not able to deal with this right now, apparently.

In the future, don't make a thread until you know what's up, don't make multiple threads for the same thing, do your homework first. Figure out what you have, figure out what is going on with your car, make a plan based on real things, not what you saw on the internets somewhere or what your idiot (no offense) friends have to say on the matter, they themselves not knowing any better than you what the time is here.

Get Sleep.
Open Hood.
Locate Oil Leak.
Trace Leak To Source.
Check Fluids (oil, coolant, level, color, smell)
Does car still knock?
Did car knock at all or was it some other noise because you were low on fluids and or running hot?
Make plan.
If plan the has questions....then make a thread once you have exhausted your research means and ask meaningful and well thought out questions instead of this "my buddies says tha skys a fallin".

And whatever you do, do NOT make a 2nd thread for the same topic here, we will boo you out and make you cry. Be smart...

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
either the dizzy o-ring gasket, or the valvecover gasket.

ps. ever d-series I've ever owned or seen has oil there.

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
if i remember correctly i already told you to open ONE thread when asking for advise or whatever.

one more time and you'll be gone forever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.