Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I had a 92 civic lx sedan auto bone stock for 6 years. I really loved that car it felt like an old friend until it was taken from me by this old lady that murdered it at an intersection, yup i got t boned. it had 216k miles before death. My intention was to never give this car up and I really wanted to fix it. But my insurance company says that it most likely going to get a certificate of destruction.

So long story short I shop around on craiglist and bought a 97 civic lx sedan auto with a bad head. block is good. Its got a whole other bunch of problems but my main issue is the engine.

So here is this question: What kind of issues will I run into if I swapped in the d15b7 engine into 97 civic? And what do I need to be aware of if I decide to do that swap? I know you guys are probably saying its a waste of time but my main focus is mpg and reliability. Sorry for the long story and thank you for taking the time out to read it.

Attachments

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
swap just the b7 head onto the y7 block. Use the y7 intake manifold to keep things simple sensor-wise.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
If you want MPG and reliability the get a stock y7 or y8 for the car. NY has emissions laws, and you would have to look up how to get it to not throw codes for knock sensor and "crank sensor" when using the stock y7/y8 ECU. The y7 ecu will run a B7 but not it will not be optimal for power or gas mileage.

Unless you can avoid emissions and run an obd1 in that car ecu than I would shy away from it.

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
I am assuming that you kept the d15b7 from your wrecked 92 civic?

I am also assuming your new '97 civic has the stock engine in it.

If so, I would personally just save the trouble. The current engine seems to have a tiny bit more performance across the board anyway.

I think I would try and get the stock head for the current engine. or just take the whole engine out and rebuild it with a different (stock) head.

I also would try and get a manual transmission just sayin' for my preference lol.

D16Y7
Found in:
1996–2000 Honda Civic DX/VP/LX/CX

Compression: 9.4:1
Power: 106 hp (79.0 kW, 107 ps) at 6,200 rpm
Torque: 103 lb·ft (140 N.m) at 4,600 rpm
Redline: 6,800 rpm
Rev-limiter: 7,200 rpm
Valvetrain: SOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
Fuel Control: OBD2-a MPFI

D15B7
compression: 9.2:1
Power : 102 hp (76.1 kW, 103 PS) at 5,900 rpm
Torque : 98 lb·ft (13.5 kg/m, 133 Nm) at 5,000 rpm
Valvetrain : SOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
Redline: 6,500 rpm

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
You thought your old LX was slow and underpowered...it will be even worse with the extra weight of the newer chassis.

Only 96-00 I'd but a D15anything in would be a HB....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts