Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, im building a 15, ive got a 15b7 block, 15b7 head fully assembled minus cam seal, am planing to get 15B crank and pistons. skunk 2 intake manifold, already have a DC sport 4-2-1 stainless header, full 2 1/4 exhaust w/ magnaflow muffler. any advice from the more knowledgable? is there a good cam i could use? im afraid i dont know alot about the D series motors.

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
Make sure you check you main bearing clearences, swaping cranks from other motors is tricky. You may have to take your block and d15B crank to a machine shop for a line hone/bore to match your "new" crank to the B7 block. Exospeed racing has some great things to be offered, as does Bisimoto racing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright, thanks alot. i figured i would need to have the block modified slightly. oh, do valves from a 1.6 head fit in a 1.5?

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
so long as te valves are from an a6 head yes they will work. As for the cam look into either bisimoto or exospeed like already stated, thats gonna be a sweet motor BTW

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. acording to that compression predictor that i found a link to on here, its going to be rediculusly high compression lol, like 13-14 lol gonna definately need arp studs, what about head gasket? what should i use?

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
290 Posts
If you get a a cam from a d16 like the a6 than your gonna need to get a adjustable sprocket or a Y8 sprocket in order to fix the half tooth timing issue.

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
290 Posts
And with that compression becarefull lol especially if you are inexperienced. doubt you will be able to run pump gas and gotta get a good tune.
For the head gasket i like using d16y8 3 layer metal headgaskets.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
thanks guys. acording to that compression predictor that i found a link to on here, its going to be rediculusly high compression lol, like 13-14 lol gonna definately need arp studs, what about head gasket? what should i use?
uhhh what pistons?

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
what calculator are you using? you should use this, the D15B internals are essentially Z6 ones, id use the PM6 pistons from the D16A6 or if you wanna get real high than use the B7 pistons, but the A6's with about a .030 mill plus a y8 HG will yield about 11.8:1 CR, that paired with a good cam will be a really nice motor and rev very nicely

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
yes they are very different, the B& pistons are from the non-vtec USDM B7, the D15B is the JDM motor that is VTEC, completely different

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i am planing to use the pistons from the jdm B, the non vtec 15 has lower compression pistons? you sure? i look them up and everything else says they are higher. hell if they are lower, i will just use the pistons i already have lol

·
Registered
ex-g (canadian)
624 Posts
don't forget that d15b rod are longer than d15 rod...

so if you mismatch piston... they will get out of the block (aka d15b7 piston with d15b crank/rod)

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
using thos internalls isnt going to give you any different compression than the JDM D15B itself, the blocks are the same. Like ive said you need to upgrade the pistons to raise your stock CR if your going with a cam, especially with that head. Id go with the PM6 pistons and mill the head .040", that will give a smidge over 12:1 CR. Thats a really good platform for all motor with a decent cam

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
this is awesome, i just checked out my engine block i ordered ( i could not until today being i am in the army and stationed 3-4 hours away from where i had it sent) and the damn thing is damaged. the head i ordered came fully assembled as it said, but was not torqued to spec, the screws setting up the valve springs are all finger tight and just thrown in. i am starting to loose my patience.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts