Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to build a high horsepower motor 300+ and i want to use a non vtec d15b7 just to be different. that said i have heard a few things in the past like the d15 has a weak crank etc.. my idea is to use the d15 block and crank, d16 h beam rods for a 1.62 r/s, vitara pistons and either filling or block posting the block. hows this sound to you guys?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
not gonna work unless you use a D15B VTEC crank, at that point might as well just build a D16Z6.

The crank is NOT weak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
everyone builds the z6, what are the journal sizes will a z6 or a6 crank work in a d15b7 block. with a6/z6 rods? im aware that the d15b7 and d15b (jdm) cranks have different journal sizes i just dont know which is which... ah crap i should just build an a6...:confused: i want to do something unusual anybody have any suggestions?

right now i have an HMT setup on a stock d15b7 with 190whp, i dont know i just like the idea of saying its a non-vtec d15b7...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Crower makes rods that will work, but the price will probebly put a quick end to your idea.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
rods and pistons = $1200 if you stay stock D15B7 geometry

Get a D15B VTEC and run TT rods and Vitaras, D15B + $400

Start with a A6/Z6 short block, add $400 for the TT's and Vitaras.

I'm not saying you CAN'T build the D15B7, just not cost effective. Besides if you had the extra money, 95% would just go B18 + boost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
im lookin

I'm builing a moderate D15b2 but with moderate power goals 180-200hp max any more than that and the boys are right might as well get a a6/z6 it's just not cost effective with D15b2/b7
hey u said ur building a moderate d15b2. im pretty sure thats the same engine i got, what year honda u got. and if u dont mind what do u think would be the best engine to put in my 89 civic dx 4dr:newbie:

·
Black Dynamite
5,880 Posts
hey u said ur building a moderate d15b2. im pretty sure thats the same engine i got, what year honda u got. and if u dont mind what do u think would be the best engine to put in my 89 civic dx 4dr:newbie:
this time around I'm doing a "build what ya got" thing. But personally I love the A6 for a non-vtec motor I had a 89 CRX Si that pulled a 15.5 quarter mile with just some minor mods. a little more work and it would have been really fun. Don't get me wrong the D15 is a fun little motor too I just don't feel like swaping motors just quite yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have d15b7 in a 90 crx hmt setup has run [email protected], 2.1 60' and has trapped 104, 10psi rhb5 turbo 190whp 178 torque. its been like that for the past 2-3 years daily driven and it still runs pretty damn good which is why i was wanting to keep it and build it if it where feasible, now i think im going to build an a6.

if anyone was interested here are the details of my current setup:

d15b7 stock
z6 intake port matched to h23 throttle body
a6 cam adjustable cam gear
dsm 450cc injectors, turboedit for management
zc/si hybrid tranny si: 1, 2, FD zc: 3, 4, 5
act streetlite flywheel
clutchnet fiber carbon pro clutch
denso BOV
volvo intercooler
the car is also gutted

·
Registered
90 Posts
I thought we were D - series enthusiasts? Why all the recommendations for other size engines? Can someone please post a practical power inprovement on a D15B7 that includes changing the head only? 92 Civic DX.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
well if u wanna stay non-tec i believe the B7 head flows the best, but im probably wrong and im gonna get flamed for it. But there is the A6 cam swap and Z6 manifold along with basic bolt ons. All of the engine sizes listed above are D Series engines

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
I thought we were D - series enthusiasts? Why all the recommendations for other size engines? Can someone please post a practical power inprovement on a D15B7 that includes changing the head only? 92 Civic DX.
Why change the head?

Stock B7 head is quite capable.

Z6 intake, A6 cam, IHE = +30 whp.

Do a bigger Crane cam, guess tune the ECU get 130 whp and 53 mpg.

Not bad starting with 85 whp stock.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
Why change the head?

Stock B7 head is quite capable.

Z6 intake, A6 cam, IHE = +30 whp.

Do a bigger Crane cam, guess tune the ECU get 130 whp and 53 mpg.

Not bad starting with 85 whp stock.
how in the hell can you get 53. i hope you meant 35

1 - 20 of 43 Posts