Honda D Series Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So my purchase of a chipped ecm for $60 and a programmer wasn't really an impulse, then.

I take it in Crome I can probably simply disable 02 sensor feedback and just set up a static map for the b8, then call it a day?

Seriously wondering why someone would put a b8 head on a b7 block.

Incidentally upping the fuel pressure to 38 psi @ idle has done nothing for the fuel ping at light throttle. Wondering what I can to alleviate it more; in the meantime I'm trying to always drive with the throttle in a no ping range that feels rich rather than lean. Not too fun.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,265 Posts
Its likely the timing map of the b7 ecu causing the pinging, not lean fueling as you are likely rich right now. the b7 pistons aren't playing well with the b8 head and are jacking compression through the roof. Back your base ignition timing down to 12° btdc and see if the pinging stops, if it does give it back a degree at a time until you find the point light pinging returns off idle, then go back a degree to where it was last happy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Its likely the timing map of the b7 ecu causing the pinging, not lean fueling as you are likely rich right now. the b7 pistons aren't playing well with the b8 head and are jacking compression through the roof. Back your base ignition timing down to 12° btdc and see if the pinging stops, if it does give it back a degree at a time until you find the point light pinging returns off idle, then go back a degree to where it was last happy.
I guess the different head shape is causing the heightened compression? Would explain why it's not as slow as I was expecting. Could I adjust the distributor timing to help alleviate this? Or maybe switching to high octane fuel? (Ouch).

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,719 Posts
thats what ignition timing is.......mechanical timing is the cam itself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Pumped some 91 octane into the tank and it seems happiest with dizzy pushed almost all the way back towards the firewall.

Took it around the block and tried holding it at ping throttle - seems like it's 90% gone but I'll need to see how it behaves on the way home from work today.

Thanks again everyone for the input, sorry to take you on this Rollercoaster ride. Lmfao.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I guess the different head shape is causing the heightened compression? Would explain why it's not as slow as I was expecting. Could I adjust the distributor timing to help alleviate this? Or maybe switching to high octane fuel? (Ouch).
Yes, the combustion chamber on the b8 head is smaller, your compression is probably around 12:1 currently, you will need to pull timing out of the b8 map in some places,(off idle low load and high rpm mid through high load) but if you do it right it will be a nice little torquey run around, get excellent fuel mileage and not blow itself up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yes, the combustion chamber on the b8 head is smaller, your compression is probably around 12:1 currently, you will need to pull timing out of the b8 map in some places,(off idle low load and high rpm mid through high load) but if you do it right it will be a nice little torquey run around, get excellent fuel mileage and not blow itself up.
Waiting with bells for my chip programmer and software.

Downside to all this is I have a turbo, downpipe, turbo header/flange and ofc the tuning software is coming - but I won't be bolting a turbo onto this motor now.

Guess I'll be looking for a nice b motor soon, to make this a real integra.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The chipped ecm not only has a socket for a fuel map eeprom but also has a hondata s100 unit in it. (Super old?) Between these two chips would datalogging be a possibility?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Drove home from work with ignition timing backed off significantly and 91 octane in the tank. Much more useable "light throttle" range now. Pings about half as frequently and ping volume has reduced significantly as well.

Going to try some octane booster on top of the 91 octane tomorrow along with backing timing off to fully retarded.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ordered a preprogrammed fuel map chip and requested a b8 basemap - surprisingly cheap.

I suppose if I can't get the remaining ping to disappear with adjustments in Crome I'll be looking into the adjustable cam gear.

I'd like to save swapping head or motor for absolute last resort, since this things doing so well currently all things considered.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I have my chip burner and basemapped chip. Honda Tuning Suite does not recognize the 27sf512 chip's ROM - "corrupted or unsupported ROM file". I would have liked to try this in Crome first as that's what Moates recommends however the Crome website is currently under some kind of maintenance and you can't get files from it.

Does anyone have a copy of Crome - or know anything about HTS?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Got a basemap programmed into chip and plugged chip into bought P28 socket. Then found out bought P28 doesn't run fuel pump - my stock P06 runs it just fine. So I was sold a junk ECM. Back to the drawing board and full-retard timing until my HAmotorsports prechipped ECM gets here.

Sigh. Never buy a car that was meant to be blown up on the track.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Plugged in Neptune RTP Demon P28 ECM that was loaded with the requested D15B8 basemap. Wasn't expecting much, so promptly drove it around the block, and noticed something was missing.

The knock. It's gone. Little bit less bog and more GO on the low end as well.

Hell, even the exhaust note sounds a little different now. Going to leave ignition timing retarded until it's tuned for real to stay on the safe side, I suppose.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Plugged in Neptune RTP Demon P28 ECM that was loaded with the requested D15B8 basemap. Wasn't expecting much, so promptly drove it around the block, and noticed something was missing.

The knock. It's gone. Little bit less bog and more GO on the low end as well.

Hell, even the exhaust note sounds a little different now. Going to leave ignition timing retarded until it's tuned for real to stay on the safe side, I suppose.
Awesome! Smokey burnout vids after tuning please 😃

21 - 37 of 37 Posts