Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 CRX HF
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding a D15B7. Would there be any benefit of running a D16Z6 crank pulley (for reliability)? Or should I stay with the B7 pulley. From what I can tell my B7 pulley in not dampened.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,249 Posts
Both will be fine. The Z6 might help your piece of mind but I didn't needed it.

HOWEVER....never put a B7 or similar crank pulley on a Z6, which is how I trashed the center three main bearings in 500-600 miles.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
492 Posts
Both will be fine. The Z6 might help your piece of mind but I didn't needed it.

HOWEVER....never put a B7 or similar crank pulley on a Z6, which is how I trashed the center three main bearings in 500-600 miles.

Woah, really? I found a rare single belt crank pulley off of an import D series the other month similar to bellow (but three rib):

My DOHC ZC is damped from factory but also has the AC and PS provisions, and this one is obviously not damped but a lot lighter without the extra sections.

Are you saying this is a big no no? I've searched before and never really gotten a solid conclusion.

·
Registered
^^^^
2,120 Posts
I am rebuilding a D15B7. Would there be any benefit of running a D16Z6 crank pulley (for reliability)? Or should I stay with the B7 pulley. From what I can tell my B7 pulley in not dampened.
If there isn't a specific reason to run another crank pulley, I would just run what was originally on the motor.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,866 Posts
Thats a cool crank pulley if it fits a dseries motor and is actually lighter, although for reliability id grab a dampened pulley if you have one..if not, just use the stock crank pulley.

·
Registered
^^^^
2,120 Posts
I had a similar pulley to what you are describing. Came off a B2 I have here. Definitely toss a pic up when you get a chance. I'd like to check it out.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,249 Posts
Jay, it is a rare pulley...but a B1 pulley.

Some of the EF AC add on's at the dealer required a pulley swap to drive the compressor.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Supposedly it’s a big no-no to run an undampened pulley because of the premature wear that it can cause on the main bearings. However, from what I recall, some earlier D16A6’s didn’t come with a dampened crank pulley so I’m not sure how much truth there is to this. I know Bone said he trashed some bearings after 5-600 miles and I certainly believe that.

I’m just wondering if it has to do with how much load there is on the crank pulley? In other words, do accessories like AC and PS increase the amount of wear on the main bearings? Is it ok to use an undampened pulley if you’re only running the alternator?

The JRSC crank pulleys for the Y7 and Y8 were undampened...

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
492 Posts
Supposedly it’s a big no-no to run an undampened pulley because of the premature wear that it can cause on the main bearings. However, from what I recall, some earlier D16A6’s didn’t come with a dampened crank pulley so I’m not sure how much truth there is to this. I know Bone said he trashed some bearings after 5-600 miles and I certainly believe that.

I’m just wondering if it has to do with how much load there is on the crank pulley? In other words, do accessories like AC and PS increase the amount of wear on the main bearings? Is it ok to use an undampened pulley if you’re only running the alternator?

The JRSC crank pulleys for the Y7 and Y8 were undampened...
Yeah this is my train of thought...

Still keen to hear peoples experiences though.

Tiny pic, can't see any detail.....
Here's some pictures:

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Came off a single carb D13. Appears to be the same OD as the DOHC ZC, still need to check the ID and offset.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts