Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've searched and searched and its driving me nuts.

I have a civic 90 with stock d15b2 new rings.
head is a d16y8 with head machined .040
camshaft is brian crower stage 2 #bc0071 with valve springs.
bisimoto adjustable z6 cam gear.
bisimoto single layer head gasket .009"
distributor is a b7
running obd1 s300 hondata

so my issue is I have the cam and crank set to factory timing marks. When I try to set ignition timing, locking in the s300 im maxed pushing the distributor towards the radiator. if I un bolt distributor and move it further it idles fine. I advanced the cam from the adjustable cam gear 2 marks and im right below my 16 mark im at 15 ignition timing.

I'm trying to get it all together to take it back to the tuner

thanks in advance all.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm a little confused. It sounds like you know exactly what you need to do to make this work. Was there a question somewhere? Considering this is a mish-mash of parts, modifying the distributor ears might be required to achieve your target timing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I'm asking is if the head being milled down is what is causing the distributor timing not to get to 16 degrees.

Who shot that is for a stock b7 to y8 which mine is not.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What I'm asking is if the head being milled down is what is causing the distributor timing not to get to 16 degrees.
Well, milling the head is going to affect your mechanical timing, and that's why you're probably going to have to modify the ears on your dizzy since you're now throwing the position of the dizzy's rotor out of whack and you can't rotate the dizzy far enough to compensate for it's new position. If you're off by a degree on ignition timing then just open up the ears a little so you can rotate the dizzy enough to get to 16. By the way, what do you mean you adjusted the cam gear "two marks"? How many degrees is a mark on your gear?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,046 Posts
how do you know your shitty moto cam gear is correct year for your car? did you line the cam gear up with a z6 cam gear and clock it accordingly? did you put a timing light on it to see how bad off you are?

http://www.d-series.org/forums/general-tech/165927-timing-belt-information-mini-me-clarification.html

http://www.d-series.org/forums/naturally-aspirated/154772-head-milling-timing.html

http://www.d-series.org/forums/engine-building/11167-head-milling-advance-retard-cam-timing.html

the joys of the search feature and putting in the leg work for someone else

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did put it on a timing light and all four marks line up but the distributor timing I can't get to 16degrees without cutting the ears and adjusting.

·
4,046 Posts
I did put it on a timing light and all four marks line up but the distributor timing I can't get to 16degrees without cutting the ears and adjusting.
but you just jumped down someones throat and said its not stock, so why are you using the stock timing marks for the cam?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Because that's what the tuner asked.
The camshaft is a drop in camshaft. I was just asking if anyone had experienced this with a milled head.
My shitty cam gear lines up with the factory z6 gear

·
4,046 Posts
ok, now read the links I posted. there is math in there on how much timing per deck height.

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just wanted to under stand why I have to cut and make it work. Guess when a bunch of parts that shouldn't go together you end up this way.

Thanks for the help.

·
4,046 Posts
wait, instead of getting your mechanical timing correct and maybe getting the ignition close, youd rather settle for just cutting it and hoping?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right now the ignition timing is at 15 it's already close. I'm just maxed out on the distributor. I have advanced the cam gear to account for the head being milled. 3.5

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Wrong cam gear for the cam, .040" = 1 degree.

Gonna need a bunch of eyeballing, starting with a OEM Y8 cam gear first to get cam TDC.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts