Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
Recently i had an accident and my block cracked. It was a D13B2, Sohc 16v carburetor. My mechanic has a D15B2 ready to swap in, but he is going to swap over the D13B2 head because the gas pump is cam activated, and i dont want to go through the extra hassle of having that and all the wiring changed, at this point in time. Now, i clearly understand since its having its engine swapped, i could get a much better block because its a much better bang for the buck, now and in the long run. However, i dont want big mad HP and am more keen on honing a weaker block to 110-130HP and slap a carb kit from DanSTengineering.

Anyway and to the point, my two questions are:

- What will a D15B2 block mated to a D13B2 head result in? Will it get a couple more HP in comparison to a standars D15B2 block and head, will it have less or more compression?

-Which components from my cracked D13B2 block would work for this D15B2 block? (crankshaft, rods, pistons.... Ive read topics from over a decade ago here that those D13B2 PM1G pistons are of use in other blocks. )

Thanks for your time and although i know these blocks are not worthy, there is gotta be someone out there who has experimented with these two and has valuable inputs.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
Would have to measure block deck height before doing anything. If the D13 block is shorter, cam timing will be effected.

The crank/rods are different bearing sizes, so likely not swappable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On one of the few topics i found about D13B2s and their pistons, you also commented.

On another one, there was a member named ShepherdMoon who had a D15 with those PM1G pistons i mentioned earlier, however it is unclear to me if he changed anything else in order for that to work or if it was just a matter of putting that set of pistons in. A quick look at his profile tells me he hasnt been active in like 5 years, which is a pity cause perhaps he knows what i seek.
Other guy i could find good info was Sckapee but his build is on the D13Z6 EFI side of things.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hello everyone.
Recently i had an accident and my block cracked. It was a D13B2, Sohc 16v carburetor. My mechanic has a D15B2 ready to swap in, but he is going to swap over the D13B2 head because the gas pump is cam activated, and i dont want to go through the extra hassle of having that and all the wiring changed, at this point in time. Now, i clearly understand since its having its engine swapped, i could get a much better block because its a much better bang for the buck, now and in the long run. However, i dont want big mad HP and am more keen on honing a weaker block to 110-130HP and slap a carb kit from DanSTengineering.

Anyway and to the point, my two questions are:

- What will a D15B2 block mated to a D13B2 head result in? Will it get a couple more HP in comparison to a standars D15B2 block and head, will it have less or more compression?

-Which components from my cracked D13B2 block would work for this D15B2 block? (crankshaft, rods, pistons.... Ive read topics from over a decade ago here that those D13B2 PM1G pistons are of use in other blocks. )

Thanks for your time and although i know these blocks are not worthy, there is gotta be someone out there who has experimented with these two and has valuable inputs.
Out of interest, where are you from? I can't recall the d15b2 being used in a car outside of the states.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
europe or asia based on license plate.

Either way, a d13 shares deck height with the d15b2.

the real to watch out for is the timing belt and water pump stuff on the d15 block.

If pulley and gear sizes are not the same, you may have to find a different timing belt to use.

Even a single tooth difference can be a pain to work with.

check part numbers from honda sites for the d13b2 and compare them to a d15b2. for USA honda sites, you will be searching for 88-91 civic DX or LX, as those are the d15b2 cars.

Since you are carb'd, you may want to adjust things with the extra displacement.

You asked about power. Should be obvious what direction power will go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im from Portugal.
Im positive the engine is a d15b2, ive seen it stamped on the block. Plus, its got that throttle body that sits on top of the manifold like a carb, with 2 injectors behind, non vtec.

Its gonna run a bit lean i guess, with the extra 150cc or so. Ive searched for the D15B3 carb and it looks different, but there is hardly any info available so i could compare them both, jets wise.
Plus that carb is a pain to disassemble to get to the jets. Its gonna be as is for the time being and then get one of them R6 carbs or throttle bodies in there.

Thus far regarding the cylinder heads, all i can find is the D13B2 head has a 34cc combustion chamber, vs the D15b2 38cc.

https://danstengineering.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=871

The guy i source spares from most likely can aid me.
Also check his build, its a neat one.
https://youtu.be/dyrth2ssvqw

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Look up carb rebuild kits for both the d13b2 and d15b3.

compare included parts, gaskets, and seals.

If they end up using the same kit, chances are, you will be okay.

if the d13 head is indeed 34cc chambers, it will bring the compression of the d15b2 motor from 9.28 to just a hair over 10:1, still very manageable, and will further imrpove the performance of your setup.

Id say do whatever you can to get to the jets.

You will enjoy the new setup when you get it running smoothly!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts