Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so to start this out this is my first post to ANY honda fourm so yes..noob, and before I get the answers Ive read 1000 times about do your own research...I have and I've found alot of good info, but I've jumped page to page to find it so I lack some answers and I'd appreciate if someone can verify the answers I did find for me before I blow my money and another motor.

Current setup is a
1999 civic ex (ej8?) with a d16y8(blown) stock everything. Bought this car as a gas saver for a good deal and slung a rod 2 months later...shitty luck.

I found a d15b2 for very cheap. I plan on doing a rebuild on it since it has been sitting up for a few years.

What I think I know:
my trans/axels and all will work with this because it's still a d series
d15 is obd1 and d16 is obd2 so I will have to change some connecters to make it hook up correctly and maybe ecu?
The y8 or z6 head would be a better head for a small gain in power
other than that from what I gather it's a fairly simple swap (I'm fairly decent with cars)

What I want to know:
is what I think I know wrong for one..haha
is the d15 worth swapping or is it a waste
For now it will be n/a I'd like to use some better aftermarket parts for a stronger engine if it's worth building.

I'm sure I lack some info but like I said first time here so any help is appreciated..

·
Registered
175 Posts
You would need y sreries oil pump for a functioning knock sensor . IMO I wouldn't waste money building a d15 unless it was going to be turbocharged . Also z6 head need to use z6 distributor so you would need to use y8 guts in the z6 distributor which I think is possible but not sure . I'm sure other people will chime in

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive heard a alot of replies saying the d15 was best if turbo'd. As fun as it sounds to have a turbo'd civic I don't think the budget allows it at the moment. Also building for a turbo and building n/a is two separate sides of the spectrum right? High compression vs low compression if turbod

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,052 Posts
keep d15 block, look up how to mini me, keep y8 head. swap and have a great day

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Y series oil pump literally has 0% to do with a knock sensor.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
the d15b2 is obd0. you'll need to extend the fan switch wiring since its on the back of the block on a d15b2. you'll need to swap over the driver's side post mount from your Y8 onto the d15b2 block

if you live in a place with emissions and they actually check, it's not legal to put a motor older than the chassis in the car (cali only, iirc)

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
you're going to have to swap over the sensors from your y8 too, iirc. the d15b2 uses different connector styles

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll have to swap sensors from the d16y8 block to the d15 block? With keeping my y8 head the whole top end will remain plug and play correct?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts