Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know exactly how to word this but please read thru before posting something like "search other posts" after all its a challenge left to the d-series members

I could spend hours seeing if this is unique or whatever... i could spend hours doing research.... I thought it might be fun to present this idea of mine in this manner. "so whats your idea?" ok.... A few months ago got done doing my z6 swap into 88 Hatch.. i like it.... miss having a honda project.. I run a mobile mechanical service business and i work on sooooo many piece of shit domestic shitboxes all day it would be nice to come home to a honda project. So I have a D15b2 sitting around doing nothing. So i would like to enlist the help of the fine folks here on D-series.org.... pretend that all of the sudden the only honda engine left to build was a d15b2.... i know there are more worthy candidates. but just pretend... after an evaluation i just might get something else to work on... but i would like to hear all the creative ideas... IM not setting any crazy goals like "ohh i want 1324 [email protected] out of my honda how can it be done" i just would like to hear some insight... Turbo, boring-sleeving-... whatever. just pretend that ALL YOU GET IS A 'B2 thats it I would love to build something unique out of a less sought after engine. so let er rip.

·
Black Dynamite
1991 HONDA Civic
5,880 Posts
MPFI swap, skunk2 IM, with 60mm tb, 450cc injectors, high volume fuel rail, FPR
stage 3 custom ground turbo cam, msd ignition and wires, t3/t4 turbo, log manifold, all necessary turbo hardware, custom forged pistons and rods, tunned to 20lbs and call it a day all this considering that money isn't an option

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a good start

what a great start.... of course this is going to be a drawn out project its not like i need this motor built next week.... so i would like more feedback and advice.. be creative....keep em coming

·
Registered
218 Posts
MPFI with Skunk2 IM.
Leave the longblock stock with the exception of a cam, either A6 or aftermarket.
Put the rest into a solid turbo kit and management.

That's my plan, my reasoning it that B2s are cheap as hell so that if I blow it up I'm back on the road for very cheap, and I can also upgrade to a D16 once I blow it up too without losing money put into internals or headwork since the longblock was stock.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advice so far

So with the longblock stock.... dont we run into problems.... From what ive heard a b2 isnt the best motor for boosting with all stock internals.... I know they can be had cheap but changing the motor every 3k miles still isnt economical. My thought is that if i want to do a turbo set up i would like to be very precise with everything.... Im going under the assumption that you can slap an engine together and have it haul ass for a week and throw a rod... but if you take your time and do things proper have something that may be powerful, precise and reliable. As far as internals.. I know forged rods and pistons are the way to go anyone have any recommendations.. Now let me ask.... should the block be altered...as far as sleeving/boring.. to slightly increase displacement, or would it be a good idea just to leave everything pretty much stock as far as displacement? The goal is to spend quite a bit of time on planning and less time slapping shit together. I would like to think through all the aspects and get some good pinpoint advice on some maybe less than well known methods and secrets to make a true underdog ass hauler.

·
Registered
605 Posts
something that actually came to my mind a week ago responding to some one in the FI section is we all know the rods in the d15 are very weak for boost, you may want to inquire about how much cryogenic deep freezing treatment on rods and other parts, that way it may save you abit on your wallet instead of buying forged rods etc. but its one of those thing that i have no idea what a treatment like that cost

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
deep freeze

im kinda weary about that... i wonder how exactly it works.... i would assume that the metal would have to be heated and then quenched in liquid nitrogen or something so as to compress the crystalline structure plus it seems that with all the heating up....cooling down heating up cooling down it would seem that anything thermal wouldn't take such hold because of the constant heat cycles.... i don't know. I remember hearing about something called nitriding where they heat up the metal and put it in a container that is pumped with an ammonia??? or nitrogen?? i forget but the atmosphere inside the container has one of those in it and it hardens a percent of the outside of the metal its case hardening... All this seems time consuming and maybe not super expensive.... but i think the forged rods that are beefier will be a better insurance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts