Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, first i would like to say a Happy New Year to everyone .

I ready to built my d15b2 minime engine , but i have serious doubt about the timing belt timing.

i use d16z6 timing belt - d15b2 water pump & d16z6 camgear.

So, in US forums i read that i need y8 camgear for correct the 4.75 degrees timing difference ( correct me if i wrong ! ) but in this case , i need to use the d15z1 or the d16z6 timing method in the workshop ?

- d16z6 method say , align the camgear TDC mark with the pointer on back cover

-d15z1 method say , align the two TDC mark with the two P08 pointer on back cover

My second question is about the camgear to use . A friend who made this minime on his d15b2 say that i dont need a y8 camgear , so i should keep my z6 camgear and timing like an d15z engine . anyone know if this works , and if my camshaft will be in 0° TDC ?

Thank you .

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
what head are you using y8 z6 what cam are you using y8 z6?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Nobody now how timing an D15B2(7) / D16Z6 minime ?
yep you need a y8 cam gear. set the crank to tdc, take the bolt out of the cam gear, set the head to tdc (7oclock mark on z6 head and gear), slide the z6 gear off and then slide the y8 gear on but dont move the cam, put the belt on, tension it and then run it back around to recheck timing and set crank at tdc and the cam key should be straight up but the timing marks on the gear will be off but its suppose to be, then put the cam bolt back in and tighten. after cam timing adjustment set ign timing to 16* btdc

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, thank's for the clear method :) . And if i use an adjustable camgear must timing with 4.75° advance ?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
yes your gonna have to advance timing 4.75* but i would also do it with the bolt out of the gear cause the difference in deck height throws the belt off half tooth but it could be either way depending on what tooth the belt catches so do it with bolt out to make sure when your done the cranks at tdc and the cam key it straight up

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for advice :) . So if i use a Y8 cam gear , i just need to timing it like D16A7/Z6 (TDC mark on 7oclock pointers on back cover ) . And if i use adjustable cam gear just timing it at 4.75 adv ( just making sure that the timing is correct after several engine rotations )

Right ?

Sorry if I asked so many questions. But I am not quite comfortable with English and I'm afraid to misunderstand something and broke my engine. :sweatdrop:

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
if you look at the cam gear there are 3 lines, 2 of them are at 3 o clock and 9 o clock and one at about 7 o clock. use the 3 and 9 o clock ones. if the 1.6 head was on a 1.6 block, the you would use the 7 o clock marker. the difference between the methods is 4.75 degrees, i.e maxing out power at 7300 rpm or maxing out at 6300 rpm, been there done that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If i look at this picture :

When the pointers go on the + marker there is ADV , and when i put the marker on the - marker there is RET

So i must Just timing like that ?

Edit: WTF about this ? :wacko:

bisimoto set camgear like that R<- 0 -> A

eagle set like that A<- 0 ->R

S2 like that +<- 0 ->-

and AEM like that R<- 0 ->A

like you can see the three other :

bisi ; http://fjdistributors.com/images/bisi_cams.jpg

eagle ; http://www.mindspring.com/~tlj/civic/images/ge_96+_cam_gear_small.jpg

AEM ; http://centralperformance.net/Store/images/AEM Cam Gear.jpg

So what is the good advance / retard position ?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
i personaly wouldnt buy a adjustable gear for just a simple mini-me just get a y7/y8 gear and be done. but when you do the timing set the head to tdc with the z6 gear then slip it off and slip the y8 on when your all done the marks wont be lined up on the y8 gear so dont even try to use them just go off the cam key

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i set the timing with 4.5° adv but now i have small piston/valve clearance .160" on exhaust & .120" on intake ( and not on vtec lobe ) !

I'm affraid because i read many time about minimum piston to valve clearance is .080” on the intake and .100” on the exhaust valves , so actually no problem on intake but what happens with vtec lobe lift ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts