Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, i've read just about every thread in this forum about d15's but i'd like to get an opinion from you guys. Basically should I even bother to build a d15b2 (dx model). I already swapped to mpfi, and I have a good solid running motor. Though a lot of people are telling me its not even worth it and to just swap to d16. What do you guys think? My main concern was the bottom end on the d15, and the lack of available parts. I read that crower "used to" make rods for a d15b7? Or some model of the d15 which would fit my engine. But I can't find them.

Are there any other options for bottom end parts? I saw somewere that ZC rods/pistons will work but lower compression. Which would be fine, but I don't think they will work.

My plans are a solid 230hp build:

boost, staying obd-0 using turboedit
head swap (haven't decided which one yet)
more agressive cam
forged rods/pistons

Any opinions would be apreciated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am building d15b2 to. Question: How car feeled after mpfi swap? Little faster? Or were changes bigger?

My plan is to boost that small engine.

I am sure that most of members suggest to bought a d16 :D

But i am also interested using other d series parts in a d15b2?

·
Registered
857 Posts
D15B2 should withstand ~200 crank hp boosted, no need to swap rods/pistons. Head is also pretty good, it's same than in D16A6. Just get D16A6 (or A7) cam and adjustable cam gear into it. I would use D16Z6 intake manifold and port the head slightly (intakes are smaller than Z6, and atleast my D15B2 head had nasty machining marks in valve pockets).

Hello rosco "neighbor" 8)

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
You could use a z6 head.

Bottom end of a d15 with boost or spray is a timebomb according to Mista Bone. Find some aftermarket rods or use a d16 bottomend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am building d15b2 to. Question: How car feeled after mpfi swap? Little faster? Or were changes bigger?

My plan is to boost that small engine.

I am sure that most of members suggest to bought a d16 :D

But i am also interested using other d series parts in a d15b2?
Yea ive asked on a different forum and everyone said d15b2 is a waste. But i'd like to do something a bit different, and avoid a swap. I just need to know where i can find forged rods, or if rods from another engine will work.

Car responded well. You can feel a slight difference but not a whole lot.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
The rods for the D15 are only offered by crower and cost like $700

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
For NA, i'd just rebuild your D15. But since you planning on boosting I'd try and find a 1.6 block and get some TT or eagle rods...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Why not just get a D16? Theres more options, more power, and cheaper to build
eh i dunno, i kinda just wanna stick to the d15. Question though, I was looking at vtec head swaps. Anything think compression would be to high for boost? If not out of a6/y8/z6 which is the best choice if I were to boost.

I figure maybe pick up an a6 head, toss it on the d15. Boost, and if i end up blowing a rod or something just buy an a6 block, and transfer the turbo parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so to confirm. the d16a6 head will fit on my d15b2 block without any modification. Im currently running mpfi, pm6 ecu.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
absolutlely

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
yea...but I was browsing last night & a guy gave 2 links (on a diff forum)to the d15 rods & they were selling them for like 650.00,,,,
d15 rods will go down by time..
Still...you can buy 3 D16 blocks for one set of D15 rods.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Alright, i've read just about every thread in this forum about d15's but i'd like to get an opinion from you guys. Basically should I even bother to build a d15b2 (dx model). I already swapped to mpfi, and I have a good solid running motor. Though a lot of people are telling me its not even worth it and to just swap to d16. What do you guys think? My main concern was the bottom end on the d15, and the lack of available parts. I read that crower "used to" make rods for a d15b7? Or some model of the d15 which would fit my engine. But I can't find them.

Are there any other options for bottom end parts? I saw somewere that ZC rods/pistons will work but lower compression. Which would be fine, but I don't think they will work.

My plans are a solid 230hp build:

boost, staying obd-0 using turboedit
head swap (haven't decided which one yet)
more agressive cam
forged rods/pistons

Any opinions would be apreciated.

My White CRX w/ a D16A6 Head and D15B2 bottem end is faster that My Primer CRX with all D16A6 parts.

·
Registered
95 dodge pick up
66 Posts
my d15b2 bottom end with y7 head cut .030" has held a 100 shot and ran 12.54 at 107mph. i like the b2 bottom ends they seem to be doing well for me

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my d15b2 bottom end with y7 head cut .030" has held a 100 shot and ran 12.54 at 107mph. i like the b2 bottom ends they seem to be doing well for me
that is impressive. Im kinda leaning more towards the a6 head, mainly because i already have almost all a6 parts, and because I don't wanna mess around with vtec. Price is a bit more apealing also.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts