Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to put a D16Y5 head on a D15B2 bottom end ? A friend of mine is willing to sell me the head and intake manifold just wanted to make sure it would fit before I got dooped and bought it. If so what head gasket will I need. thanks

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
Its possible. but why?

·
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
I would try to get the d16y8 myself if ur going the SOHC route.I think i have one of the few jdm d15z1 motors. Swapped the d16y8 head over for a little hp bump.
Smart move.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
y5 head is a great head and can make way better power and torque than a y8 if properly tuned, take a look at Joseph Davis' build, uses a y5 head with high compression and hes running 87 octane and is making roughly 140hp on the stock head/cam. Granted he is using a 1.6 Block with GX pistons and LS rods but still...

·
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
My point exactly. Jo Davis' build is an actual build and he has "the proper tune". I'm not sure of how much of a n00b the OP is but just going by his post, I think he should just go with a Y7 or Y8 head.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
well he will relatively low CR, about 10.2:1 which is low enough to run regular anyway. JD's is all in the tune. That and he wont be having the VTEC-E because as far as i know you cant controll that with anything other than the stock ECU

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok enough with the y8 head suggestions. the question was will it work. my friend was willing to give me the head and intake manifold for 50 bucks. I doubt ill find a y8 head and intake manifold for 50 bucks in the condition this y5 is in. So don't assume I don't know what I'm doing... I'm just tight on cash being I'm a full time college student.

·
Want access???
98 Hx Coupe
12,304 Posts
ok enough with the y8 head suggestions. the question was will it work. my friend was willing to give me the head and intake manifold for 50 bucks. I doubt ill find a y8 head and intake manifold for 50 bucks in the condition this y5 is in. So don't assume I don't know what I'm doing... I'm just tight on cash being I'm a full time college student.
Try it and let us know....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts