Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a d15b1 for $70.
Before I buy is it a good motor to build...?.... Maybe y8 head J.W if so wanna put into an ej8

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Did you even bother to look up that engine?

a headswap would do it a great service for basic power (probably upwards of 20+hp) but youa re still left with a rather gutless setup, especially when thrown into a heavier 6th gen civic.

You are much better off at finding any of the D16 engines.

The d15's dont have a place in a car for performance, other then if you decide to boost it AFTER building it properly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a y7 already in it, was going to swap the y8 head to that n switch to a obd1 ecu, but I hate the fact that it don't pull past 65k, would be cool if the D's could pull 75-8krpms

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Y7 block with a Y8 head makes for something like d16y8 version 1.1

Little extra compression goes a long way.

Only a camshaft upgrade or regrind will help it pull longer up top.

You gotta remember, ALL D series motors at heart have efficiency in mind during design.

If you want a long hard puller, might want to swap to a B16, that can be really fun even if its still sorta slow overall. 8k-9k rpm pulling depending on mix and match of OEM b series parts.

OR, you can make your car pretty darn fast swapping in an automatic version of the F20B motor, match it with a good manual trans, and have fun dealing with 2 liters of 11:1 compression pulling to 9k rpm, while making near 200whp once you tune it a bit. The stock F20B mapping is fairly conservative due to its compression, and a cheap ebay header plus tune nets quite a bit of power if you can keep it fed with USDM 93 octane.

It is the setup that may eventually make it into my accord if the beaten to death f22b2 ever dies

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wanted to do something I haven't seen b 4, everyone has a b-series in there car.. I'm not looking for much h/p like 170/ 180... but mini me

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
an 8 valve cylinder head on a d16 block might prove to be a fairly fuel efficient daily driver, as long as you pair it up with a longer gear set, like the 5th gen DX transmissions or even the vx transmission that usually gets bolted up to a d15z1.

It wont give you any performance benefits, but should prove to be quite easy on the gas.

Going with some head slicing and an adjustable cam gear, you may be able to tweak it a bit further.

I doubt the setup would make over 100hp at the crank, but the 8 valve operation may lead to much higher usable torque under 2500 rpms, given air velocity should shoot through the roof when compared to 16 valve motors at that low rpm.

It most likely will hit a brick wall of power around 4-5k rpms, to the point you may want to do some mild cylinder head porting to ease the air entry a bit so it is not as abrupt

It is a very VERY unusual setup, so it might actually be worth diving in and seeing what happens

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
so now you want some performance?

Use d15b7 block in your searching.

You may want to see if you actually have the 2 valve reliefs in your pistons, or if you have 4 valve reliefs, honda did not always specifically use the 2valve relief pistons with 2v heads, but ALWAYS used 4valve relief pistons on the 16v heads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts