Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok let me start off by saying that this is my first post, Im not new to turbo charging hondas i have a turbo 90 prelude thats fairly respectable... anyway im new to the D motors i got an 89 Civic STD. with the D15b1 and the 4 speed i got the car for free, i recently rebuilt the motor all stock and put on a D16Z6 head and head gasket, runs great, i will be turbo charging this also because its so cheap, i do have a few questions...

How high can i safely rev this engine?

14B turbo around 9psi Zdyne managment what kinda power am i looking at, using HF manifold and will be converting to MPFI

I hear people say to use the SI 88-91 distributor why? mine runs fine with the D15b1 distributor

maximum power levels this engine can safely handle?

Also anything needed besides the tranny to do a 5spd swap, i plan on doing the trans swap when the clutch goes....

thanks for any advise you can provide...

·
Registered
258 Posts
A couple of things in response to your post....

Stock bottom end, means stock rev limit.

You might be able to get close to safely running 200Hp with that setup.

The ZDyne is a great unit, but fails in comparison to some of the freeware ROM editors available today. The ZDyne does not have datalogging, so tuning will have to be trial and error in trying to figure out exactly which cell to apply the changes to. TurboEdit or BRE have datalogging, and easilly keep pace with the ZDyne for tuning ability.

Craig

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A couple of things in response to your post....

Stock bottom end, means stock rev limit.

You might be able to get close to safely running 200Hp with that setup.

The ZDyne is a great unit, but fails in comparison to some of the freeware ROM editors available today. The ZDyne does not have datalogging, so tuning will have to be trial and error in trying to figure out exactly which cell to apply the changes to. TurboEdit or BRE have datalogging, and easilly keep pace with the ZDyne for tuning ability.

Craig

what is the stock rev limit of the d15b1?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so know one else can give there opinions?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
7200ish, that's it. You need the S1 dizzy to do the MPFI swap or the car won't run well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok but WHY will it need to be converted, the car will still remain OBD0 is there some kinda different sensors in the distributor? or is it just a wiring pinout difference....

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
1 more sensor in the distributor, that's all. Otherwise the car dosen't run very well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
you dont have a vtec dizzy? do you have the correct computer running that motor?
the stock DPFI ECU is in the car i just swaped the d16z6 head it runs great just no vtec.... once i do the d16y8 manifold swap i will be putting in my zdyne gold secu to control vtec and the DSM injectors im going to install for the turbo setup...

I just want to turbo it and make a reliable 190-200whp on the stock block the car is BONE stock (i got it for free) so once its tuned and turbod im gonna leave it alone and just drive it, i have my other car to play with (90 prelude)

I just hope the stock block can take it...my prelude block was fine when it used to be stock internaled....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts