Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
1,147 Posts
Start with a Y8 cam gear, and head gasket to account for the cam timing issue due to the 5 mm difference in block deck height. Sorry but I have no idea on the timing belt's and such.

D15B1 to D15Beast7, should be a thread hear about it. The build equaled my numbers.
The A6/B1 cam gear has timing markings for both 1.5 & 1.6 deck heights. Not sure why the Y8 cam gear is needed.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
1,147 Posts
because it does matter for the 1/2 tooth cam timing error.

But what do I know about it.....I'm the one who discovered it, and dynoed it in Sept 1999.
Always happy to learn, i'm just pointing out that the 1.5/1.6 cam gear has two marking timing marks to suit both deck heights and to correctly time out the 1/2 tooth timing error. If you're timing with a 1.5 deck height you match the horizontal marks to the head casting. If you're timing a 1.6 deck height you ignore the horizontal marking and match the 7 oclock mark to the timing case pointer (which in turn makes the 1.5 deck height horizontal markings appear half a tooth out).

When i said "I'm not sure why the y8 cam gear is needed" is because i don't understand why you would use the Y8 gear if the stock gear has the marking to correctly time both deck heights. Is the Y8 cam gear the same as just timing the stock cam gear to the 7 o clock marker to suit 1.6 deck heights? Could you explain?

White Motor vehicle Font Auto part Slope

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
1,147 Posts
The Y7/Y8 cam gear is timing for the 1.6 deck height and flat with the head like a 1.5L The 1.5 and 1.6L marks on the Pm3B cam gear are one tooth apart or 10mm, neither mark will correct the 5mm/half tooth cam timing issue.
Dunno what happened to my post, but here it is again:

I went through this recently, and that wasn't my experience. If you time a 1.6L the 1.5L marking on the PM3B cam gear is bang on half a tooth off (not a full tooth). The 1.6L is timed using the 7oclock mark (not the 1.5L horizontal markings) here's a 1.6L timed to TDC u sing the 7 oclock marking per the workshop manual:

Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gear Bicycle part

The 7 oclock pointer on the cover that lines up with the engine mount is behind the engine mount stud here, but i can confirm it lines up like the workshop manual indicates and is shown in that pic at TDC.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Grille Bumper

The y7/y8 cam gear might show the timing marks flat with the head, but they're not required to correctly time the motor as far as i can see?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts