Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, sorry if this is the incorrect section for this one.

First off, I have spent the last week solid researching and have come up with numerous answers all conflicting.

Now on to my issue...

Recently acquired a 95 civic, head gasket blew due to overheating and sitting forever. Went to replace gasket, noticed minime setup.

(will have pics... out of town atm...)

Now... here's my dillema. At first, I thought the setup was d15b block with z6 head. Y8 cam gear, it drove fine seemingly just low power on the high end (vtec wasn't hooked up). Went and bought a Y8 head gasket (per research) and noticed later the head stamp was Pj-2 (per research, a Y8 head).

So apparently, my set up is a d15b (assumingly JDM block) with a Y8 head and a Z6 intake manifold. The only thing i'm seeing now is the purge solenoid on the intake manifold is nonexistent (it was plugged, which bogs it down, if i unplug it it revs high. planning to replace the solenoid and route it properly.)

My issue now is seemingly timing. Now timing is new to me, but after trial and error we got the engine running, albeit like crap. it idles beautifully now but under load in low RPMs it bogs down. Now the cam gear (Y8 gear, up is up, markings lined with head) regardless of how set is 1/2 tooth off either direction (as seems common with this setup). To even get it idling i had to set the half tooth of (towards firewall... is this retarded timing? sorry for noobing) and the ignition timing had to be played with (no timing light as i want to settle the cam timing issue first) to get it moving at all.

Now from what i've gathered the ignition timing needs to be 18* BTDC, but if i set the dizzy back (towards the firewall) the engine will stall in gear in low rpms. advancing the timing will get it moving, still slightly boggy, and no high end at all.

At this point, i'm at somewhat of a loss. It ran OK before, but with everything that was bypassed i could see the issues. Now I can't get it mobile to save my life, at least anything over 50 and then barely.

So my question basically is what am I missing? When idle the engine sounds fine, try to scoot it bogs then picks up after say 2500-3000 rpms. Seems like timing, but i cant make sense of it regardless of how i set it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this as this guy needs to run at least a few more months till i can invest in a new motor to rebuild and drop in.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also to note it has a P28 ECU, unknown if chipped, 5 speed, no 02 sensor, and a coolant line is bypassed (coming straight up out of head by VTEC solenoid, from what ive found it routes to the first nipple on the coolant rail? plan on reconnecting that as well), no A/C, no P/S, mini radiator. basically gutted engine bay.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts