Honda D Series Forum banner

d15b, y8 HEAD. TIMING ISSUES...

12K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  wiledwhitecivic 
#1 ·
ok, i just put my y8 head back on my d15B block... crank is at TDC on #1...cam marks are lined up, but when i turn it over by hand it only goes about 1/2 rotation and stops. im sure the piston is hitting the valve on #1 but how?? all the marks are where their supposed to be.. i think i have the wrong cam gear?...

#2 ·
Please describe your cam gear to us.
Did anything else happen to your engine before all this went down?

#3 ·
You want the original y8 cam gear. It looks like the spokes are recessed in closer to the middle of the belt guide. If your crank was lines up at tdc #1 and cam at tdc all most strait across before putting the belt on then you have other issues.

#5 ·
What did you change ? Cam / Cam Gear / Timing belt ?
If you changed nothing then your valve is not hitting.
he put on a head

doesnt the y8 cam gear have more teeth then the d15b that might me your culprit....

try the second post
y7 head on a d15b1?? - Honda-Tech
its danz from here
maybe this applies to u

hope this helps

#8 ·
Good Man. The 7 o'clock is for the d16 block. You want it close to lined up to the head.

#10 ·
The stupid Hayns manual had the z1 with the cam gear side marks lining up with two marks on the back cover which one would think would be closer to the right way for a mini me. But that's slightly tilted to the left but still close to parallel to the head. It's not a b7 that says to line up the cam gear parallel with the head. Their heads are slightly shorter than the vtec heads and position the cam a little closer to the front. The pic in the manual is poor for representing how it should be. A lot of guys are lining up the cam gear parallel with the top of the head on a mini me. The lower mark lined up with the seven o clock position will make your timing way off.

#12 ·
Try lining the side marks up with the marks on the back cover behind the gear and see if your belt fits properly with light tension on the front before you set your tension.

I hope some one chimes in if they've timed one of these recently.

#14 ·
if its a y8 head, with a y8 inner timing cover, use the y8 TDC procedure to set the cam to TDC.

a specific cam in a specific head is going to find TDC the exact same way, no matter what block its bolted to.

also, as you can see in my post on honda-tech, i really wasnt quite sure, just thinking out loud.

and he never posted up what he did to resolve the issue...

hopefully someone can chime in and set the record straight..

#15 ·
I was saying the cam won't be tilted at tdc on the d15 block like it will on the d16block using the marks on the inner timing cover behind the cam gear.

#18 ·
whats ignition timing at?

also for anyone else that ever sees this post, the correct way to set TDC on the cam in a y8 head is look at the lines on the cam gear from the passenger side (i usually just lean over from the driver fender to see the back side, or look from the front of the car leaning over the engine) the marks on the cam gear will line up PERFECTLY with the topside of the head surface.

compression test time.

#21 ·
ok, everything is working good. car idle's ( a lil low) an runs pretty good. only thing now is that as soon as my car reaches operating temp. it turns off and wont hold idle anymore until it cools down..?? anybody had this problem? i really need to finish my car.

#24 ·
You still want the 240's but it doesn't matter if your tune is off. You said you put the y8 head on a d15b block. Please clarify which d15b block it was and the ecu please. What mods done to the ecu?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.