Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, well its been ages since I've even been on here. Still rocking my dohc ZC in my Del Sol, now that it finally runs!

But now I'm onto a new project, through trading and package deals I've ended up with a s*** ton of parts and engines.

So I have off hand a set of ZC pistons and rods, a D16 bottom end, and a d15b vtec with a spun bearing. So you can probably guess what I'm imagining. I'd like to put the d15b head on the d16 block stuffed with some ZC pistons. I've used zeal to calculate the compression for this setup and its roughly 11.7:1.

My question is, is this going to be streetable on pump gas? I've never run this high of compression on anything before. Not sure if this setup could handle it on 93 octane. I'll be running on a p28, if need be I can socket it, and I just picked up Crome Pro and am learning to use it. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
yes it will run fine on 93 11.7: 1 isnt all that high, but your gonna have to tune before its driven cause it will detonate with out it and the p29's have weak ringlands and any bit of bad detonation will break them. and if you do build this buy a z6 cam to put in the d15b head so there will be no timing issues

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
Seriously?
You need to look around before you post, 11:7:1 is kittens play for comp.

93 can run way higher comp then that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seriously? No need to be rude, simple question, simple answer. Find me a definitive answer on octane and compression ratio. Every forum has a debacle over it. So don't make the assumption we're all noobs who don't do research, thank you.

Thanks hatchaddict, if you think a z6 cam would be better, I might as well just assemble a whole z6 with ZC pistons. I know the d15b and z6 cylinder head are basically the same, minus the difference in cam. Whats the difference in cam profile anyways? If anyone has any info be nice to know, can't find the specifics on the web.

I've been working with ZC for a while, so yea I know how weak the ringlands are. They suck, I might just use some aftermarket high compression pistons. Although I'm just trying to make a fun motor with some junk I have laying around.

I'm not too worried about timing, I have an AEM adjustable cam gear to throw at it.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
use your d15b head its exactlly the same as the z6 head except for the cam and, well the main difference between the d15b cam and the z6 cam is the way the cam is ground because of the differance in deck height between the d15 and d16, but its also speculated that the d15b is a touch more aggressive but idk never had one, imho i think you be better off with a aftermarket z6 cam like a 59300 or crower stg2.

as far as using the zc slugs they are perffectly fine to use as long as there tuned properly, i see know reason to use aftermarket pistons.

i mentioned timing with using the z6 cam cause with the d15b cam your gonna be off 4.75 degrees from the start, use z6 cam set to 0 and your done

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
There's a thread on here somewhere by Bisi about the differences between the D15b and the Z6 cam. The D15b is slightly more radical, but nothing big if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys, been a big help. I guess I'm just going to grab my spare z6 head I have and finish it with parts from the d15b rather than use the d15b. I'll just rebuild the bottom end of the d15 and sell it.

So just do a d16z6 with ZC pistons. I have a mill though, and rather than use ZC pistons I could just mill .03 (since its the recommended max to remove) with a thinner hg and land around 11:1. Your guys opinion on just milling over ZC pistons?

I probably will give Crower a call about a cam, I've seen their z6 stage 2 cam before and was very impressed with quality and performance.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
who says that .030 is the recommended max to remove from a head? cause ive seen way more the norm is .040 and is what i would recommend for a vtec head, now for a non vtec id go .060 to .080. as far as pistons im not a fan of the p29's but you said you were gonna use them if you do i wouldnt mill the head much, if it was me id mill the deck .020 and use some pm6's from a d16a6 just clay it cause you may have to open up the valve reliefs a bit, it will be easier to tune and under the right circumstances has the ability to make more power. pm6's with .020 off deck and .040 off head will be close to 12:1 with the crower stg2 should be a nice easy to tune ripper build

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
^^He says hes not a n00b so don't argue or disagree with him. :bigok:
ha ha yeah i know, and ive also been doing quite abit of spoon feeding too, oh well ive been in a helpful mood lately. if he wants to argue with solid info then let him, i know i can stand my ground

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, T-Mack drop the tough guy act and roll on down to Pennsylvania and talk shit to my face a**wipe. Its the internet, the ultimate way for cowards to talk like tough guys.

.03 is the recommended max by machinists, if the head gets warped with a .03 mill you can still mill it one more time most the time before you start running into problems. Hatchaddict says .04 and I'm saying .03 for safety. I just told you I have a milling machine douchepod, so I know a bit, but I don't come on here with an ego acting like I'm some god. Sorry not everyone on the internet needs to stroke their ego.

I asked for opinions, not for someone to spoon feed me. So if you don't have an opinion on what I asked go stick your d*** in your usb port T-Mack. Don't see how I'm arguing with anyone here...

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
dude seriously just wack it .040, if the engine is built right its not gonna warp, arp's are you friend, and ive pulled 300,000 mile engine apart that the heads were still in service limit. lets face it a built 12:1 comp engine isnt gonna last 300k, and regardless if the head does warp its not gonna be .010 out its more like .004 so they can skim it with out problem. you can take way over .040 off a vtec head but for a street engine its not needed. 12:1 is a good street comp. my next z6 build is gonna be around 14:1.

oh and were you at in pa?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eh, I play it safe when it comes to building, haven't tested the limits on Hondas. Call me a pussy, but whatever its my shit I'm working with. I've always heard warnings about having to recess your valves after .04 and I don't have a valving machine, so I haven't messed with the idea yet. Otherwise I'd be comfortable taking much more off and recess my valves. Yea ARPs are a must, I snagged two incomplete sets of them from the junkyard.

Ideally I'd like to use some no name H-beam rods from ebay I have, but I'm trying to save them for a ZC build. Since this is just a side project engine I'll end up dropping it in a gutted crx and selling it. I'm not looking for anything unstreetable, just a fun project while I wait for ZC parts to come in really.

I'm out in the York area.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
If you have a mill and can use it, A set of B20 rods can be narrowed down and re-bushed down to fit a D series to give a cheap strong rod.

If you have to pay for the work, no names are about as cheap.

Also T-mack was accurate in his first comment and being hypersensitive and rude won't help your cause.

·
Registered
eg9
344 Posts
since you spun a bearing on the d15b block you should take that crank to the shop resize whatever bearing spun and resize the mains to fit the d16 block then deck it with your zc pistons. 1.62 rod stroke ratio with your choice of compression

has anyone tried this set up yet?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
since you spun a bearing on the d15b block you should take that crank to the shop resize whatever bearing spun and resize the mains to fit the d16 block then deck it with your zc pistons. 1.62 rod stroke ratio with your choice of compression

has anyone tried this set up yet?
um maybe you should do some research before you post! its gonna be kinda hard to resize a main journal that is already to small for the for the block

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
Okay, T-Mack drop the tough guy act and roll on down to Pennsylvania and talk shit to my face a**wipe. Its the internet, the ultimate way for cowards to talk like tough guys.

.03 is the recommended max by machinists, if the head gets warped with a .03 mill you can still mill it one more time most the time before you start running into problems. Hatchaddict says .04 and I'm saying .03 for safety. I just told you I have a milling machine douchepod, so I know a bit, but I don't come on here with an ego acting like I'm some god. Sorry not everyone on the internet needs to stroke their ego.

I asked for opinions, not for someone to spoon feed me. So if you don't have an opinion on what I asked go stick your d*** in your usb port T-Mack. Don't see how I'm arguing with anyone here...
Seriously? Its the internet quit being such a pussy with feelings and clean the sand out of your vag! :yes:
I guess you did'nt read this one so i'll quote it for you again!

P:S: You can check me out in the Show your face thread, im the guy with the long goatee covered in tatts, 6ft 200lbs, gold glove boxer who works at a Canadas most secure maxmium prison, not some little biatch living in his moms basement, so yeah your right I would be shitting my pants if I ever made it down to your area im sure.:bigok:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea, I see this is pointless trying to even talk here. See ya.

P.S. Don't give a damn if you could even bench press a B16. Come on down and prove you aren't all talk.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts