Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just got done installing a new to me D15B VTEC from HMO. The car is a 93' DX manual hatchback that originally came with a D15B7. The following describes how I installed it:

- Using a VX timing belt and timed according to the factory service manual procedure for a D15Z1 engine.
- Using standard DX throttle body since the one that came with new engine was broken.
- Using P08 ECU that came with the engine.
- Using 1-wire CX O2 sensor that I re-pinned to the 4-wire plug to match my wiring harness.

Tried to start the car and the starter definitely turns over and the car is getting fuel at least to the fuel filter (I opened the breather bolt on top of the line and fuel came out). Looks like it's getting spark. I put a small paper-clip into the spark plug wire and there is a spark coming out.

Looks like the ECU is throwing code 10 for IAT. I have a spare one I can swap over from my old engine, but from googling it looks like this won't cause a no-start anyways. I've never read ECU codes before, but the CEL light flashes one long flash, waits awhile and then does the same thing again. I'm assuming this is code 10.

Does anything stand out to anyone here? My next plan is to swap the distributor from my old engine which I know works and see if that changes anything. I assume I'll invariably mess up the timing, but it could be screwed up as is. My grandfather (who admittedly has never worked on a fuel-injected car) told me timing can prevent the engine from starting, can you still check it it with a timing light if it won't start? The service manual seemed to imply it needed to be running to set timing.

This is my first engine swap, so I'm in very uncharted territory for me here.

·
Registered
813 Posts
fix the cel first a faulty iat can make it difficult to start.

I don't understand the vx belt and z1 timing is this a head swap if not why timed like z1?
unless your in the know..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fix the cel first a faulty iat can make it difficult to start.

I don't understand the vx belt and z1 timing is this a head swap if not why timed like z1?
unless your in the know..
Good call on the CEL. I took the old one out of my old engine, and then realized I had the wrong plug attached on the new engine. Plugging in the correct plug got rid of the CEL.

I do want to make sure I didn't time it correctly before I try starting it. This is a JDM D15B VTEC (all stock). My understanding was that it uses the VX timing belt NOT the Si timing belt. When installing the timing belt, if I used the D16Z6 method of aligning the everything it would always be off a tooth, I used the method for the D15Z1 (aligning camshaft pulley with arrows marked P08) on the timing cover and it seemed correct to me. Am I mistaken here?

·
Super Moderator
3,937 Posts
if its a d15b COMPLETE motor, time it according to a d15b. if you just threw on a d15b head onto your d15b7 bottom then find the info for that particular "mini-me"

also, follow the instructions on how to set ignition timing according to a manual

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if its a d15b COMPLETE motor, time it according to a d15b. if you just threw on a d15b head onto your d15b7 bottom then find the info for that particular "mini-me"

also, follow the instructions on how to set ignition timing according to a manual
It is a complete stock D15B. How do you time a D15B? My US service manual obviously does not cover it. My understanding from reading various threads was it needs to be timed like a USDM D15Z1. Is this correct?

I'll do ignition timing once I get it started.

·
Super Moderator
3,937 Posts
you cant do ignition if its too far advanced/retarded it wouldn't crank. mechanical timing is only half of it. rotate to tdc and make sure rotor is on number 1 and that the rest of the timing marks line up

time it like a z1 you are correct

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help and responses everyone!

I got it figured out. I had assumed it was getting fuel due to the fact that fuel was getting to the fuel filter, but this was a bad assumption. The fuel injectors were totally non-functional which was keeping the engine from starting. I swapped over the fuel rail and injectors from my old D15B7 and it seems to be running well now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts