Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
96 Civic EX Coupe
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
allright so i still have my old d15b vtec in the garage, and ive been planing on doing a Vitara turbo build for years . was planing on getting a d16z6 when ever i wanted to get started but since i have this engine sitting here...i figguerd why not use it...but im getting mixed search results on what rods to use /and some people are saying that it will need custom rods or the pistons will stick up past the deck .

so here is my questions.

will vitara pistons work with my block?

and which rods should i use? i was hoping to use something affordable such as FJ rods.

or if this is going to need custom work done would it be best to just sale the d15b and get a d16z6?

im aiming for a 200-250hp build on a lower budget. plan to use a ebay log manifold and haven't decided on turbos yet...this is going to be my first engine build and first turbo car so i still have alot to learn

all help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
They may stick out of the block, but I doubt it. It wont be anything that couldnt be cured with a head gasket.

The problem is rods...

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
fj makes d15b specific rods, that's what i have. just make sure if you do put the vitaras in with the arrow towards the flywheel!

·
Registered
EF and a Ca5
17 Posts
Ok with the experience I have on the dirty ds an I have buildt many lol.

Your question bout vataras fitting in a d15 yes which rods
At be a concern. Like other said can't go wrong with fj. Get rods an pistons from them. They supply usually the bearings but clearances are always different an I perfer a loose bearing then a tight. Ask for .5 over in piston size. Pm on the bearings.

Use the 272-2 cam an keep the stock valve train you'll be fine.

Turbo stuff. Ok I'm not gonna say bro but stay away from Ching Ching meow. The mani well crack on you an cause a epic fail. Turbos well you know how many chings I've blown. I'll get a dencent t3 or even a good 14b or a t25 or a te05. Best bang for the buck is a holset hx35 which are huge an will suit your needs. They usually run bout 100-200.

You already know bout engine management so I won't go there . Just run a basemap or tow it to a tuner.

Onther thing check your ring gap you can go bigger an it will free up hp but youll smoke like a mother fucker. I know lmfao. Check what fj specs are.

Blake get it at it man.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Chinachargers have some problems, noticeably fitment, but there is no way in hell they are less reliable than some beat to hell OEM DSM/Nissan turbo.
Lots of people have run chinese turbos for extended periods of time with zero problems. I hear about just as many people having problems with Turbonetics or Garrett turbos.

Basically, at this point, there are few to none defective turbos. Chinachargers or not. The problem is user error.

·
Registered
96 Civic EX Coupe
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone. definitly gonna make this happen! also found out i should of gone to FJ website eariler :lol:
FJ Distributors

definitely will be ordering that early in the year ^_^

you have all helped alot. and rendon thanks for logging in and posting it helped

i know i have alot to learn in the field of engine building and turbos. but i will be searching and reading ALOT of info. and we all gotta start somewhere!

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
Just comp check your engine and if its healthy slam a turbo on it, you can push 200whp out of a healthy D15B stock block without issues. Just get a tune.

·
Registered
96 Civic EX Coupe
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just comp check your engine and if its healthy slam a turbo on it, you can push 200whp out of a healthy D15B stock block without issues. Just get a tune.
my carbed D15B (basicly d15b2 for those who dont know) pulls harder then my d15b vtec ever did and it was burning oil...bought it from some people that beat the shit out of it lol... so im pretty sure it definitely could use a rebuild

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Chinachargers have some problems, noticeably fitment, but there is no way in hell they are less reliable than some beat to hell OEM DSM/Nissan turbo.
Lots of people have run chinese turbos for extended periods of time with zero problems. I hear about just as many people having problems with Turbonetics or Garrett turbos.

Basically, at this point, there are few to none defective turbos. Chinachargers or not. The problem is user error.
lol your so wrong. they are really shitty turbos and the materials they are made from and quality to which they are assembled is VERY sub par.

·
Registered
Wagovan
773 Posts
lol your so wrong. they are really shitty turbos and the materials they are made from and quality to which they are assembled is VERY sub par.
Watch so many people blowing up chinachargers that go to my local meet. They average one for every 3-5 months.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
the price of a chinacharger and rebuild by a reputable shop would be more expensive than just buying a quality unit in the first place

to the op and the original question....fj custom d15b rods and call it a day

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I dont think so.
I know Corky Bell disassembled a few Chinachargers and found all their tolerances were within Garrett spec. He did admit that some metallurgy would have to be done to know if the alloys were up to par.

Being made in China doesnt mean it has to be low quality. Its not like it was 20 years ago.

IMHO the real reason to go with a Garrett/Borg/etc is because the wheels are of a better design and will perform better.
Your typical chinacharger is a replica of an old turbonetics shitter. Which means less power and much slower spool.

Watch so many people blowing up chinachargers that go to my local meet. They average one for every 3-5 months.
By that logic Honda engines must be of really poor quality too. The people at my local meets go through D and B series engines that frequently.

ll say it again, User error.

·
Registered
63 Posts
it depends on how much you push those turbos. They have gotten alot better over the last years. I had one which I overboosted to 22PSI (at the intake, meaning probably 25 at the turbo) and it lasted 6 months of me beating the shit out of it. My one before lasted a year no problems on 14.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
87 Posts
Make sure you get the right piston / rod combo. Vitaras will stick out of the block if you use the 137mm D15B Rods. You'l need custom lenght or maybe with normal D15 134mm may work IDk.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts