Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry to repeat a beat to death subject, but I am a noob to swaps and I just want to make sure I can have this done with little problems.

Background: I just blew my d16y7 in my '99 sedan. So, I want to upgrade to the Vi's d15b 3-stage vtec engine since I can get one with low mileage and it goes perfectly with my Vi-RS theme.

I know I cannot get 3-stage vtec w/o the p2j ecu blablabla. But I do not have time to search for that one, so I want to use a p2p for the meantime, and for emissions testing in the future.

My questions:

1) What all do I need to wire up one vtec solenoid to the p2p? Wire, plug, etc?
2) Which solenoid is for the 16-valve mode and which is the "wild cam?" Right/Left?
3)Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
85 Posts
np bro....ive did alot of research as well n i kept my d15b auto....its way betta being stick then auto but im tired of wastn money (even tho im stil wastn money..LoL..) i jus want mine to b a cruiser n aggresive w/o no1 knowing wat i have under the hood!!!!

Since urs is manual.........Im going to tell u wat my boy did cause his shit is up n running...He has a Manual 96 ek coupe ex vtec....Wat he did was swap his d16y8 manifold onto the motor n used his original vtec engine harness...everythn hooks up wit no prob except for the 2nd vtec...U need the manual p2j ecu (which u already kno) for the dual vtec noids...
In order to wire the 2 vtec noids up:
Step 1: Remove th old wire loom and electrical tape...
Step 2: Run a wire through the grommet in the firewall...
Step 3: Connect the solenoid wires...
Step 4: Retape the wires and loom...
Step 5: Run the second wire to the a21 in the ecu bak
Hope this helps....He was suppose to send me pics of wat he did but gave me these steps to follow instead...Ima bug him later for the pics n il let u kno so i can email it to u.....

I hope all this info i gave to u helps out n my boy said the 16vavle mode is a20 n the wildcam mode is a21....n from where the 2 solenoids are positioned the green wire is left n the red wire is right....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot Lil los...sorry I've been away all day. My point of concern is that my car is an LX, so I have no vtec engine harness. From what I saw on that thread you linked me to is that I'll need to wire the green/yellow wire from the solenoid to the ecu. Will I need to find the wiring/plug at a junkyard or something? Sorry, I'm very very new to engines, my y7 just blew, so I'm forced to swap. I am having a few experienced guys help me out with it, but I am going to be pretty pressed for time and cannot afford any hiccups. Thanks.
Idk if you need more info to help, but my car is a 99 and the ecu will be from the y8 (p2p)

·
Registered
85 Posts
If ur gona swap a y8 mani onto the ur new motor its best to use n ex engine harness since u already got one of the vtec wire there then all u have to do is wire the 2nd vtec to a21 in bak of the p2p ecu....Its way beta jus to fine the p2j on ebay or if ur lucky enough in a junkyard....

But if u dnt want to buy the ex harness n ur jus gona stay wit the y7 mani all u have to do is buy a subharness from rywire.com or ebay (it will say: 96-00 Subharness from non-v to vtec) somthing like that... but u stil gota hook the 2nd vtec up no matter wat.... My boy was riding his shit yesterday n he said the wildcam felt like the car had turbo...hahaha...he's nuts...lol...

Here's the link to wat ul need..... Rywire - Online Store

·
Registered
44 Posts
OK.....I dunno if I confused you, but I'm doing a complete swap (longblock is on its way from HMO). They are going to sell me the p2j as soon as they get them in, should be june, for $150 since I just bought the engine. But, I need the p2p until then, and for Ohio's emission testing. Thanks for that link to Rywire...I think that is exactly what I have been looking for. And lol to your friend...but they do say it is the most aggressive stock D cam...but I guess that's not saying much.

That link says 96-98, and it appears they don't have a 99-00...would I have problems with that? I'm pretty sure it won't matter for the engine b/c after talking with HMO and a few other guys, there is no difference from 96-00..even though the p2j-003 ecu is obd2a and the p2j-j11 <-I think is obd2b. Thanks for the help man

·
Registered
155 Posts
Youll need the obd2b conversion harness.. I have a 99 ej6 with the y7 also. Swapped it out for ah z6/y8 with a jdm d15b vtec cam. Youll have to do the 3 wire I.A.C.V fix and wire in vtec....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, thanks for the info. I'll need to dig up some info. If the P2J is obd2a, I'll need to do this stuff anyways, right?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ur car is a obd2a right??? N yea it really dosen't matter bout the harness bc u dnt kno wat year motor ur gettn all u kno its from a 96-00....N those motors are obd2a but wat matters is the ecu like u said above...

This is wat i found for u so far n it got some good info here...

http://www.d-series.org/forums/engine-building/73215-d-series-engines-disbelievers.html

In here it says 96-98 manual p2j-003 is ob2a while the 99-00 manual p2j-j11 is obd2b...There is alot of good info here read thru it carefully it got some good ideas...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Right, I got that....my car is obd2b (99-00).
I've through that thread, and I did again, but I'm still not 100% clear. So here's where I'm at so far...

I'll need to do this to change from obd2b to obd2a, correct? (three wire IAVC fix)

Then I can use Rywire's 96-98 non-vtec to vtec harness

And that harness will hook up fine with the p2p?

And none of this is different whether the d15b I receive is obd2a or obd2b, correct?

Thanks again

I just posted here: http://www.d-series.org/forums/general-tech/130325-d15b-3-stage-vtec-swap-help-needed-2.html since we had basically the same thread going.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nope, Fail... You will need to do this here...

You cut the orange one and just leave it, switch pin b6 to b23. Cut the orange one under the hood and connect the other two wires that are left to your new 2 wire Iacv plug... Then all you have to do is wire up vtec....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahh duh, my bad. Can I run the d15b off my p2e ecu temporarily without damaging the engine? I need to get my car home from school, about a 2-3 hour drive. Don't need vtec, don't need 16 valves, just need a reliable car for the trip and for a few days after until I can get the ecu.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I know its ok to have vtec off for a while, not sure with the 3 stage vtecs tho. Give it a whirl and let us know, Lmao....

·
Registered
85 Posts
I know its ok to have vtec off for a while, not sure with the 3 stage vtecs tho. Give it a whirl and let us know, Lmao....
Yes he's right it ok to have it off for a while, but for how long?? I dnt kno....Right now im stil running my regular Auto p2e ecu with my engine it works perfectly except there is no vtec as u kno, n there is bogging at 3k rpms bc the vtec isn't hookd up n it wnt rev past 5k rpm....Also its gona idle high at 2k rpms when the car is turned on...I always have to take the tps sensor off for a few seconds to let the engine calm down then plug it bak in..(ul have to do this everytime u turn ur car on).....So dnt get frustrated n let bullridingndn burn u, ul b ok until u get ur ecu u need....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Lol, im just sayin i dont know sqaut about the 3 stage vtecs is all. I shared what i knew...

Another thing is youll probably have a spartic idle without the Iacv Fix, itll jump around from like 900 to about 1800 rpms. Like a pulse kinda...

If your worried about ruining something i'de wait for the ecu or just get in on a trailer and haul it back....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Lol, im just sayin i dont know sqaut about the 3 stage vtecs is all. I shared what i knew...

Another thing is youll probably have a spartic idle without the Iacv Fix, itll jump around from like 900 to about 1800 rpms. Like a pulse kinda...

If your worried about ruining something i'de wait for the ecu or just get in on a trailer and haul it back....
I hear wat u sayn n where u comin from....were all here to help eachotha out...N wat ur telln him is exactly true n wat might happen...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thank you Lil los. I wasnt trying to burn anybody. Im just trying to be helpful. Any who post up some pics lets see this thing.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No no prob. I'm just frustrated with the lack of knowledge out there on these puppies. I don't have the motor yet, but this is what it's going in

Alrighty...so my options seem to be..

1) Find a y8 im and tb so I can wire up the p2p
2) Wait for the p2j
3) Run it w/o vtec
4) Run d15b everything with p2p? I spent an hour trying to find info on that setup but I couldn't find anything except tidbits about an egr valve and I won't have the correct sensors (e.g. to wire egr valve)...

I wouldn't have a problem with removing the tps, but I don't want to harm the engine in any way by driving home w/o vtec. The trip is from Columbus to Cleveland...about 2.5 hrs..once home I have another car to drive, I just need to get it home, and the reason for getting the engine now is so I don't have to have it towed. Thx for the input.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts