Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I verify if I actually have a Vtec engine?

I checked out several links, and did a little extra research. If I am not mistaken, my JDM engine is a vtec. It is marked with D15B only, the non Vtecs seem to have a trailing number as in D15B6. This would explain the mysterious block off plate on the back of the head on the passenger side (about 2inch square). I am betting it was in a car that had no Vtec components so they blocked it off and it is only using 8 valves (vtec off). I may have most of the components in the car, might be a cheap upgrade to turn that thing on?

History: I bought the car, a 1994 Civic Si Hatchback, a couple days ago. When I looked at it it had an Integra LS engine in it with perf add ons. I was looking for a commuter car with better mileage. The owner knocked a thousand off if he was allowed to pull that engine and exhaust and replace with the JDM in his sons car that was recently totaled, they had just installed a JDM in it. I took the deal.

If I fell into a cool deal, and I turn on the vTec, would I lose much in the way of mileage? Any way to verify if it has vTec? From what I hear some JDM engines with vTec were not marked with the big vTec valve cover.
=====
D15B
Displacement (cc): 1493
Power ([email protected]): [email protected]
Torque (ft/[email protected]): 14.1kg/[email protected]
Compression Ratio: 9.6:1
Bore (mm): 75
Stroke (mm): 84.5
Cam Design: sohc
VTEC?: yes
OBD:
Year(s) Produced: 1991-1999
In the following car(s): Honda Civic VTi (EG4)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Being an old school VW guy I have never seen a Honda cam in my life. What am I looking for? From what I understand Vtec turns on additional valves, will I be looking for a moving mechanism that connects the two?

EDIT: BTW, would a non-Vtec head have the port opening for the solenoid?

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
well, a vtec cam will have three lobes on the intake, a primary, a secondary, and the vtec lobe, then there will be two exhaust lobes. so there will be a total of five lobes between each journal, this is on a sohc vtec. The vtec works hydraulically, when the ecu activates it, a solenoid opens and lets oil flow through the rockershaft, pushing a tiny piston into a floating vtec rocker arm, thus locking it together with the normal two intake rockers, so all three begin to ride on the larger vtec cam lobe....ingenious, and quite simple really....so many people make such a big deal out of it, vtec is primarily a marriage of two engines, an economy engine with a mild cam at lower rpms, and a performance engine with an aggresive cam at higher rpms....best of both worlds all in one engine

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
D15B also came non vtec....
http://www.cr-x.org/home/jdmspecs.html

there should be a solenoid on the head if its vtec
he knows that, but he thinks somebody pulled it off and put a plate over where the solenoid goes...to run it in a non vtec application, why somebody would do this is beyond me...lol So, just pull the vc and check, take about five minutes to do...

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Good lord.

Most simple way; spark plugs facing front=VTEC, facing back=non-VTEC. Only exception is the D16Y7; it faces the front but is non-VTEC.

The JDM D15B came in a non-VTEC variant also(similar to the D15B7). I believe SohcInWa or someone else has this.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Take off the valve cover? why bother... If you motor has this it's a JDM D15B Vtec...
i guess you did not read. the kid said he thinks that the previous owner removed the solenoid and put a plate over it so no this head (if v-tec) does not have it. it should not have a plate if not v-tec it should be indented and wierd shaped. if it is flat then it has had a plate put on

·
Registered
1997 Honda Ballade
580 Posts
he knows that, but he thinks somebody pulled it off and put a plate over where the solenoid goes...to run it in a non vtec application, why somebody would do this is beyond me...lol So, just pull the vc and check, take about five minutes to do...
OK :)

I say pop the tapped cover.... some pics that might help

SOHC vtec

Vtec-e

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
i guess you did not read. the kid said he thinks that the previous owner removed the solenoid and put a plate over it so no this head (if v-tec) does not have it. it should not have a plate if not v-tec it should be indented and wierd shaped. if it is flat then it has had a plate put on
No I don't really read most of the time, in that case he's probably the second person on here in a short amount of time who has mistaken their D15B's for Vtec when really it's a block off plate for a mechanical fuel pump, 2 bolts on plate= mechanical fuel pump, 3 bolts= vtec solenoid. You probably have a D15B that came in the Del Sol Si's. Very non-vtec. Pictures would confirm this. take any vtec motor and unplug the solenoid and see how it runs, that's how you would know you have a vtec motor but it's not connected.

·
Registered
455 Posts
it's more likely to be a vtec-e if the solenoid was removed. just check the head code. p08 = 130hp vtec. p07-1 = vtec-e :(

·
Registered
Same
324 Posts
or just look at the stamp

d15b vtec
d15b7 no tec

CodeDisplacement Power Torque Compression Bore Stroke Cam Design VTEC? OBD Production
D15A2 1488 58 0 0 sohc no 0 1984-1987 CRX HF (Carbed)
D15B 1493 [email protected] 14.1kg/[email protected] 9.6:1 75 84.5 sohc yes 1991-1999 Civic VTi (EG4)
D15B2 1493 [email protected] [email protected] 9.2:1 75 84.5 sohc no 0 1988-1991 Civic DX/LX, CRX DX
D15B6 1493 [email protected] [email protected] 9.1:1 75 84.5 sohc no 0 1988-1989 Civic HF / CRX HF
D15B7 1493 [email protected] [email protected] 9.2:1 75 84.5 sohc no 1 1992-1995 Civic DX/LX
D15B8 1493 [email protected] [email protected] 9.1:1 75 84.5 sohc no 1 1992-1995 Civic CX
D15Z1 1493 [email protected] [email protected] 9.3:1 75 84.5 sohc yes 1 1992-1995 Civic VX

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
or just look at the stamp

d15b vtec
d15b7 no tec
That's not true. There is a non-VTEC JDM D15B(similar to the B7) and three different versions of the VTEC D15B's(3-stage, VTEC-E, and of course the regular old VTEC one).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like NeonPinHead had it right. I pulled the valve cover and found only four lobes for each cylinder. Looks like I have a non-VTEC, but its fun anyway.

How do I order parts for this thing? AutoZone peeps seem to only be capable of looking up parts by model and year. Is there a Model and year I can give them for a non-VTEC D15B engine? In particular I need new plug wires.

Thanks again all,
Sam

1 - 20 of 36 Posts