Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,
In my eternal quest for my power I purchased what i thought was another Z6 VTEC head and had exhaust ported and new guides/seals installed 3 angle vj at local machine shop but am just now realizing this is a D15B VTEC head not D16Z6. :willy_nilly: So now I am noticing my Z6 VTEC solenoid wont mount on this head and am trying to figure it if i should try and locate the correct Solenoid or just sell the head and use other Z6 Head and have standard head job done to it. I already bought Bisi level 2 cam for Z6 and springs so I want to make this work. I also noticed that the head boss is a little lower on the D15B VTEC head than Z6 in left hand corner of head.

Head is stamped P08 and for other noobs this is what i should have searched on before giving machine shop grean light with job.

Whats a fool to do???

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
Really?
I just used a Z6 vtec solenoid on my old D15B, its the exact same head as a Z6?

You need to post pics it should work no prob.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok when i get home i will post some Pics. SB up by 8 PM EST. Thanks for the input so far as I hate to have to lead a good head go to waste.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
right now head has no solenoid attached to head. It has the oil ports on the rh side of head like most SOCH VTEC but pictures will do more justice than a lame attempt at explaining it. Stay tuned....

·
Registered
982 Posts
from research,...

P08-X head casting is an OBDI head (D16Z6 and D15B-single Vtec)

P2J-X head casting is an OBDII head (D16Y8, D16Y5, and D15B - dual Vtec/3-stage)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ok dont have my camera cable here as the wife has misplaced but the head is actually stamped p2j1 and has 97 in upper rh corner of head stamped. I am coming up with y8 head. Please God no! Does that sound right? I am running OBD1 Boomslang and Crome dont want to fool with OBDII foolishness.

·
Registered
982 Posts
so far its looking like it is a d16y8 head from a 97 vehicle. The head itself doesnt determin the OBDII requirement. It doesn't even determine what distributor you have to use or cam. You can just use the OBDI dizzy, Z6 Cam and Cam gear and it is ready for connection and tune with an OBDI computer. You just need a d16y8 solenoid. I saw one for sale just a few days ago,.... but with your post could I don't think you can buy/sell on this site yet.

The only reason I posted the OBD designations is because in JDM D15B motors, it determins if it is a single or dual vtec.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
ok thanks for the info and I was ranting but I believe the Z6 head is the head of choice for SOHC D family. So I have some research to do then and my last dumb question is 3 stage vtec only on OBDII and i guess my tuner can manage this via Crome. Please see attached pictures from phone.

Attachments

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
well its got the y8 quench pads and a y series cam gear, so there ya go.

might be a 3 stage i have no idea i cant say ive ever seen one with the VTEC solenoid off before.

theres nothing wrong with the Y8 head. my friend darin just made 480whp on his Y8 head vitara build. stock ports, no port work at all, stock y8 cam, just some aftermarket springs.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Guys its a Y8 head! He posted the pictures rotated 90 degrees. After you rotate the picture in your head putting the 2 holes on the bottom you will see it is just a signle vtec solenoid port.

here are a few pictures of a complete Y8 head.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/general-tech/134979-diffrent-y8-heads-wtf.html

Now about the prefered d-series head,... it is all about preference. While a Z6 block is prefered due to its better oiling, a y8 head is just as desirable as a Z6 head. Like stated before if you use the z6 cam, cam gear, dizzy, and ECU on this y8 head your are golden.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok here are some more pictures and sorry about it being rotated upside down. So this is a Y8 and my only issue now is that i bought a Bisi level II cam and springs for Z6. I guess i need to check with them to verify compatibility but if anyone has any experience using a z6 cam on y8 head lmk. Thanks again for all the information and feedback.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts