Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
civic and 1993 s10
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought my first honda a 1990hatch and it came with a jdm d15b vtec e that is being run by a p28 ecu. Ecu is stock and creating some problems. Idle surges when motor warms up and is out of closed loop. Runs rich. Vtec hits at 5k. Due to ecu and pulls hard. I can bury tach which ends at 8k. I pulled valve cover thinking maybe motor is not a vtec e but it is. Oh btw it has 4 wire o2 and throws no codes. Should I swap to proper ecu and necessary equipment? Will my motor get damaged the way it is? I like the power it puts down now.

·
Registered
Wagovan
773 Posts
Show us some motor pics. If its an obd1 d15b then the p28 should run it fine. Dont blame ecu all the time, you might have other probs. The correct ecu code is a po8 good luck finding one thats a virgin or finding one at all(jdm ecu not often thrown in with that motor when swap is purchased).

·
Registered
Wagovan
773 Posts
Understood he just kinda described a 4 wire o2 motor but said it was a vtec e. All good then.

·
Registered
civic and 1993 s10
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like I need to get some pics up. Single vtec solenoid. Obd1 and a vtec e valve cover. I removed valvecover and it has roller rockers and no mid rocker like found in standard vtec. I havent found any info on jdm d15b vtec e but I bet its just jdm version of d15z1. Thanks for all the help so far. Now more to the point running a vtec e and having vtec engage at 5k rpm makes this motor a little screamer in my civic. ( compared to my s10 lol) Anyone have experience with this set up?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
D15Z1 = USDM VTEC-E engine from a Civic VX. Uses a P07 ecu and a 7-wire O2.

If you only have a single vtec solenoid then its not a VTEC-E engine.
this is not correct the usdm d15z1 has 1 vtec solenoid and the jdm d15b econo is the exact same as a d15z1
its not vtec-e if its only got 1
you are also incorrect read my above sentance.

to the op you have a jdm d15b econo which is identical to a usdm d15z1 and has 1 vtec solenoid and roller rockers, also has a egr valve on the intake mani if it still has the original mani with it. i have run one of these on a p28 and it was sluggish from about 3 grand to the 5600 rpm vtec point of the p28 cause in 3 valve mode it seems to run out of steam cause the engine is made to have vtec set a 2500ish

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Some misinformation here.

VTEC-E engines have one solenoid.
3-stage VTEC engines(which it seems like you guys may be referring to) have two solenoids but are not badged "VTEC-E".

He bought the car like that, so doesn't mean the motor came that way.

Yes, use the proper equipment(verify that it's the VX-equivalent engine). The VX engine does not rev as high as the D16Z6 or "regular" D15B VTEC, so it's not wise to rev it so high.

·
Registered
'97 Del Sol
751 Posts
this is not correct the usdm d15z1 has 1 vtec solenoid and the jdm d15b econo is the exact same as a d15z1

you are also incorrect read my above sentance.

to the op you have a jdm d15b econo which is identical to a usdm d15z1 and has 1 vtec solenoid and roller rockers, also has a egr valve on the intake mani if it still has the original mani with it. i have run one of these on a p28 and it was sluggish from about 3 grand to the 5600 rpm vtec point of the p28 cause in 3 valve mode it seems to run out of steam cause the engine is made to have vtec set a 2500ish
Some misinformation here.

VTEC-E engines have one solenoid.
3-stage VTEC engines(which it seems like you guys may be referring to) have two solenoids but are not badged "VTEC-E".

He bought the car like that, so doesn't mean the motor came that way.

Yes, use the proper equipment(verify that it's the VX-equivalent engine). The VX engine does not rev as high as the D16Z6 or "regular" D15B VTEC, so it's not wise to rev it so high.
^^^These two guys tells the truth. Back when I was lurking this site
K2e2vin was in almost every thread I found on DSO that had anything to do with this engine. I'v been running the D15Z1 for over 2 years now. I also sent ya a PM with more info :bigok:

·
Formerly 95RedVXCivic
95 VX, 88 S/C MR2
862 Posts
D15Z1 = USDM VTEC-E engine from a Civic VX. Uses a P07 ecu and a 7-wire O2.

If you only have a single vtec solenoid then its not a VTEC-E engine.
i bought my vx new in 94 that came with VTEC-E and only had 1 vtec solenoid.
you both are wrong, and btw, it has a 5 wire o2 not 7. it also only has one vtak solenoid. trust me, i have been running a z1 engine for almost 3 years now.

·
Premium Member
A lot
2,028 Posts
Point made, I was mistaken. Anyone else want to chime in and say the exact same thing? LOL

My VX had a botched LS swap in it when I bought it. I had to properly convert the car to accept a 4 wire O2, there were 7 wires terminating at the O2 plug.

There was a lot of funky shit I had to fix on the car, if its a 5-wire I dont know why I had 7.

·
Registered
civic and 1993 s10
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the help guys it is the d15z1 but jdm version. is proper ecu p07 or p08. car currently has 4 wire o2 and intake swap so no egr. what is factory revlimiter. might be easier to ad rpm switch for vtec? idk will need manifold with egr and 5 wire o2 to make proper ecu work right. i intend to swap in another d series and go boost so this is just a temporary fix, could i hondata my ecu p28 and then change fuel maps when i motor swap and boost?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts