Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first turbo build and ive spent the last week reading up on crome and neptune. I have a d15b vtec bottom end with a JDM d15b vtec head (lowers compression) so from what i read it should be around 8.. I also read that a few people put 12-14 psi on a Similar set up.. Has anyone done this?? Is it safe as a DD? Also i am being told that crome is NOT the way i wanna go.. But i cant see myself spending 600 to tune my car thats just insane! So what i have is a p75 with chrome on it.. (Came with the kit) ...do i need to change my fuel pump? Is it a MUST? And if you have any specs on my motor feel free to enlighten me!! Please NO trolls i mean really dont be a dick im asking for help wouldnt you like to share that? Thanks for anything and everything anybody helps with!!!! -matt

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
i ran a d15z1 vtec e block and a d16z6 head on 16psi no problem only when racing tho, i ran 12 psi daily and had zero problem with it... it lowers the compression quite a bit i think mine was like 7.8:1 but it was alot of fun

what d15b block you have... there is alot of different "d15b" engines ...

what is the stamp on your pistons?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not all that sure i have a t3/t4 from CX racing and a greddy log manifold.. Im quite clueless about what trim or how to find the trim.. i know it says 70 on the turbo but i know that its NOT 70 lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my block is a d15b vtec e.. has dished pistons i didn't think to get the code when i had it apart..

·
Registered
197 Posts
It isn't about psi, it's about cfm.
A gt35 @ 20psi doesn't equal a 13g @ 20psi.

Just a bit of info for you. Carry on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
why dont you put the stock head back on unless you have forged bottom end you are gunna be pushing your turbo alot more and wont have the response, wont be as fun to drive you dont need vtec the compression would benifit more then vtec

·
Registered
1999 EJ8
1,188 Posts
You'll definitely want a fuel pump in there and Crome will be fine for software. That's what I've been running for 3+ years.

i ran a d15z1 vtec e block and a d16z6 head on 16psi no problem only when racing tho, i ran 12 psi daily and had zero problem with it... it lowers the compression quite a bit i think mine was like 7.8:1 but it was alot of fun
Correct, static compression ratio drops down to about 7.8:1, you already know siregcivic!

The pistons have what... a -16CC dish to them? Piston code I believe is P07.

It is definitely a lot of fun, I'm running the same setup for the past three years and I've had no issues related to boost.

I run 16-18 PSI on my little 15G and it loves it. The E85 helps a bit too! ;)

why dont you put the stock head back on unless you have forged bottom end you are gunna be pushing your turbo alot more and wont have the response, wont be as fun to drive you dont need vtec the compression would benifit more then vtec
The turbo revives the "fun factor" of the compression drop. It's a good first setup to get your feet wet. Pretty damn forgiving!

Tell me this doesn't look like fun (2/3's of the video):

Mind you I've been driving it like that for three years, all factory internals. Reliable as shit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well a buddy looked at my stuff today and says i should go with a t28 turbo bc i have a greddy manifold thats worth alot.. just for kicks i ran at IFO yesterday and i ran a 16.90 lol anyways.. whats the stock internals rated for HP wise? and you say yall both ran 12-16 psi?? Did yall use arp head studs and rod bolts?? what HP numbers will i be looking at with a T28 on 12 psi? could i even do 12 PSI? ---___--- im so lost

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What did yall run on 12-16 psi?? what all did yall have done? Crome gold? what fuel pump? what kinda turbo etc etc... gotta learn from the best!!!

·
Registered
1999 EJ8
1,188 Posts
What did yall run on 12-16 psi?? what all did yall have done? Crome gold? what fuel pump? what kinda turbo etc etc... gotta learn from the best!!!
-ARP Head Studs, stock bottom end including rod bolts.
-A tune with Crome, gold is not completely necessary.
-Walbro 255lph fuel pump or similar.
-A clutch, I have an ACT XTSS.
-Fuel injectors, I'd say 440CC or better. (RC, Precision, Injector Dynamics, etc)
-BKR7E NGK spark plugs

That's about it, besides the actual turbo stuff.

You should be fine on 8-10 PSI with that T28, as it is a larger turbo than my TD04H-15G, so it flows more air at the same PSI as my turbo.

More air requires more fuel, all of which equal more power if kept in check.

Don't focus on a specific PSI. You've much to learn.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
-Fuel injectors, I'd say 440CC or better. (RC, Precision, Injector Dynamics, etc)
-BKR7E NGK spark plugs

You should be fine on 8-10 PSI with that T28, as it is a larger turbo than my TD04H-15G, so it flows more air at the same PSI as my turbo.

So a T28 on 8-10 PSI is almost equal to a t3/t4 on 12 or 16??

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
-BKR7E NGK spark plugs

damn soo similar to my setup damn.... lol

my setup

d15z1 block
d16z6 head
ex tranny
stock headbolts
stock fuel pump
dsm 450
fuel pressure 55psi
ebay t3 t4 .57

it lagged kinda until it full boost but it was cool cuz i had traction, and i was running 91 octane and wasnt running that much timing i think i had like 14 degrees at 12 psi or something like that :) it was alot of fun

my friend had the block and i had the head and turbo setup my old motor was trashed and i just threw it all together in one night, lasted me 2 years till i sold the car

i revved mine pretty high 7600 rpms lol i didnt care it lasted though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mljMCdHuXNU

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What hp numbers did you make? An did you ever run at the track? What numbers did you get? Thanks for all the info its been great learning about it all!

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
i never dyno tuned it just kept turning up the boost till i felt was enough... im a street racer i dont race at the track lol

but i beat stage 2 srts no problem, srt8 chargers no problem, sti's and evos with mods no problem lol it wasnt slow, that video was only on 10 psi lol wasnt that fast really on 10 psi on low compression but it was quick once i turned the boost up

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
people are telling me to stick with the t3/t4 so i would like a ram horn...i dont wanna spend 600 on a good manifold...whats the best bang for the buck???

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
people are telling me to stick with the t3/t4 so i would like a ram horn...i dont wanna spend 600 on a good manifold...whats the best bang for the buck???
either spend the money on a quality tubular manifold or buy a cast manifold... you go cheap on a tubular manifold aka ram horn or whatever style you want i guarantee it will break like mine did i re welded it like 8 different times till the whole wastegate pipe finally broke off and i got a cast manifold

1 - 20 of 27 Posts