Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im a total honda newb, so i know nothing. Ok what im working with is a 91 Honda CRX with a JDM D15B swap. Its throwing a O2 sensor code, and a Vtec Solenoid Code (21).
1. Is this what the VTEC solenoid looks like?

If yes, i now know where its located, but still have no clue how to trouble shoot it and figure out whats wrong. So any help there would be great.

O2 sensors all beat to crap, so i think ive solved that one already

Now on the TB i noticed a random sensor with nothing connected to it. Whats that bad boy for? and how bout that vacuum port?

Other than those couple things, the car seems perfect. I dont think VTEC is kickin in though, this is my first honda/vtec car, but ive ridden in them before, and usually i could feel when vtec kicked in. I never felt any difference at any RPM in this car.
The ECU is a p08 if that matters.

Thanks for any and all help.

Keith

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No i didnt do the swap myself. its a p08 ecu.

I figured that was the MAP sensor. Wonder why its not hooked up, and where the plug is for it, lol.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
well as of right now, I bet you have 2 map sensors in your car. Look on your firewall. You'll see a little black thing that looks like you vtec sylinoid, but hanging up side down.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
your suppost to run the obd1, but if the car is running fine, dont worry about it. There is a way to hardwire your vtec sylinoid to your vtec oil pressure sensor. It will take care of the light, and you will run vtec..

Its throwing a code 21 right? I think thats vtec sylinoid..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks good. Its on my to-do list, lol. Ive just got other stuff that comes first, like getting this light gone. Yeah its a code 21, how do you do that hardwire so that vtec works, and the light goes bye bye.

I do plan on swapping to that OBD1 MAP eventually, but its working fine right now, so id rather get this Vtec and O2 fixed right now.
Heres whats goin on around the solenoid....

Now that red wire is tapped into that black wire, and is going to ground.
AND NO, I DID NOT DO THIS. I bought this car 2 nights ago, and am just trying to work out the bugs.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
as for right now, if your not throwing a code 22, I believe (vtec oil pressure) Its fine, Its just ****** rigged.

But to make the vtec light go away, splice a wire between the Blue/Black wire from the vtec oil pressure sensor, to the vtec sylinoid wire. I was told to do this by the wonderfull guys at Rywire.com. It has worked ever sence. and alos on the crx i posted, I did the same thing. It will look a little tacky, but untill you really have the time to understane what your ecu pin outs are, you can make it look very nice. If you lived up by Ill. Id be more than glad to help you out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i did just check my VTEC solenoid, and its working fine according to 12v being thrown to it.

So basically your saying to do this.....

And get rid of that ground all together? or leave that ground and just jump it?

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
But dont cut that vtec wire at all, and when you splice into it, go like 5 inches down from the syliniod, and connect a wire from there to the other wire

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, i did that, light still popped on, bt i forgot to pull the batt cable to reset everything, and it didnt pop on untill a hard pull after the car was warmed up, so it prob was just that O2 sensor. Up untill this time, as soon as i started the car, the light popped on, this time, it waited a few mins. which, with it being a 1 wire o2, obviously the light wont kick on untill the cars warmed up and the o2 starts working, so thats prob what it was, im ganna get a 02 for it, change that, pull the batt cable, then see what happens.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello everyone. Ive been lurking the past few days trying to suck up all the knowledge I can while fixing some of the non mechanical issues with this car, and while getting a stomac up to deal with the mechanical.

This is my first swapped honda, and my first vtec enabled engine. Ive owned a built ew4 87 crx and a stripped autox 88 crx si. Also of note Ive had a 90ls teg and 96 ls teg. All 5spds. So im not totally new to this stuff, but the wiring harness conversion and ecu issues im just getting on board with.

I am the new owner of the car. It drops a cel as soon as you let off the gas usually above 5.5-6k rpm, I pulled the code and its still a code 21. Right now it has the p28 ecu in it. Runs very smooth. Idles great even after the code is thrown.

I know the cross over isnt as pronouned on the sohc vtec engines since its just the intake crossing over. It has an I/H/E so really I can feel any differnce in the but dyno, it does pull very strong 1-3 all the way to redline, I havent bounced mechanical fuel cut yet, but on the harder pulls to see what was what I chased it to 7k in 1st and 2nd. Even after the code pops as I said it is still smooth.

The wiring as im sure you can see by keiths pics needs to be picked over, but as keith put it the main concern at this point is getting rid of the code.

Other information on the side, it now has a 4wire o2 hooked up. Still running off the obd0 map sensor, Id like to convert this to use the obd1 sensor on the t/b, if anyone can link a seperate write up or any helpful information thx.

Im going to swap the p08 ecu in and see what it does, Keith was telling me that its not a smooth kinda bogs a little or is weird along those lines at non WOT.

The p08 ecu is a p08-010 im not sure what makes this differnt from the 911, or the other number which escapes me atm.

To recap in short, still throwing a code 21. Not sure if its engaging vtec at all.
Going to check out the senor, the wiring and these 2 ecu's.

Anything else anyone could come up with that im overlooking would be great. Thanks.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Their is a way to check your vtec sylinoid.. It shouldent throw a code like that...It may be bad, or plugged.

But anyways, all you have to do is take the connector off from the firewall map, and plug it into the obd1 on the throttle body. then their should be 1 hose you need to hook up. its right in front of the obd1 map sensor. it sticks out towards the throttle body opening

EDIT: if you havent introduced yourself yet in the noob section, do so, and post pics!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ok went outside and took off the what i believe vtec selonoid and I dont see a screen , might have taken the wrong part off.

I saw something resembling a button on a spring under the cylinder shaped sensor. The one on top not the green plugged item.

After putting it back on and closer examination im led to believe from observation that the screen will be between the head itself and what the green plug sensor and the cylinder senor are bolted to.

Am I right? I know i need a manual, working on that in the morning, mean time im just bored and pokin around with a flashlight at 4am lol.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Ok went outside and took off the what i believe vtec selonoid and I dont see a screen , might have taken the wrong part off.

I saw something resembling a button on a spring under the cylinder shaped sensor. The one on top not the green plugged item.

After putting it back on and closer examination im led to believe from observation that the screen will be between the head itself and what the green plug sensor and the cylinder senor are bolted to.

Am I right? I know i need a manual, working on that in the morning, mean time im just bored and pokin around with a flashlight at 4am lol.
I believe the button looking this is the vtec oil pressure sylinoid.
Look around on the internet. their are places where you can download the service manual you need. The one I have is great...but i cant copy or take a pic of it nor do i know whre I got it from... Look at for a 5th gen civic maunal (92-95) and locate the area where you test the vtec sylinoid. you'll need a voltometer

1 - 20 of 20 Posts