Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I still have the choice to buy one of those 2 tranny
d15b which is lsd and a d16y8 both syncros are good and they look fine.

I'm not sure which one I should go for. I got some bolt-ons mods and the car is being used on a daily basis.

Any advices ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, the lsd one is $350 and the y8 one is 200$. In CAD of course heh

what about the rigidity ? is the y8 is better than the d15b ?

·
Registered
92 Honda Civic VTI
838 Posts
if the tranny is off a JDM D15B then get it as it has amost the same ratios as the y8 except 5th is slightly shorter

96-00 Civic EX D16Y8 3.250 1.909 1.250 0.909 0.702 3.153 4.250
92-95 JDM Civic D15B 3.250 1.900 1.250 0.909 0.750 3.153 4.250

so as u can see not a lot of difference :p

+ LSD trannys are as rear as hens teeth

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good !
and what if I take the d16b tranny and would like to change the clutch + flywheel on it. Is there any kits for this kind of tranny since it is lsd ? or it doesn't matter..

I don't know much about lsd hehe

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so getting the d15b lsd + a clutch kit would be possible ? I mean, is the lsd is part of the clutch, so if I change the clutch, will I be able to stay with lsd featured ?

·
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme
3,203 Posts
lsd is not part of the clutch. lsd replaces your final drive gear and essentially ties the two front wheels together with a non lsd if you spin the tires only one will spin. lsd makes both spin.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Richie_A_19 said:
lsd is not part of the clutch. lsd replaces your final drive gear and essentially ties the two front wheels together with a non lsd if you spin the tires only one will spin. lsd makes both spin.
An LSD does not replace the final drive gear! The final drive gear is attached to your differential. The LSD transmits power to both wheels instead of just one wheel, as an open differential tends to do. The LSD really doesn't have much to do with the clutch, although it may not be bad to have a stronger clutch with the LSD.

·
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme
3,203 Posts
i just ment in laymans terms...... just gining him an idea of what it is........ if the guy is a true noob, then he is less likely to understand "the Limited Slip Diff alters the diff housing, etc. to essen. make a car gain traction......." i was trying to generalize for the poor kid....... sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts