Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy locally will split the transmission off his imported engine for me for a hundred bucks since he needs a Cable Transmission and I was wondering if it's worth the trouble to pick up and have checked out by the shop

If something's wrong and it needs parts from Japan that would suck

I'm going to check it out tomorrow and I'm having trouble finding information about transmission ID for the JDM d15b as well, even when searching

Another guy has just a usdm ex tranny for sale but it's an extra hundred bucks

Thoughts?

If it's too much trouble and it's not LSD I just may go with the SI

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Should be the same or close as a EX/Si trans.

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Word, just worried about replacement parts. He's never installed it or driven it so it's kind of an unknown quantity

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Google where/how to read the casting codes on Honda trans cases. Thinking it should be S20 B000. 40mm diff bearings.

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Unless it has LSD its the same as the US transmissions. If it has LSD only the diff and FD are different.

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it's lsd I'm gonna blow the welds on my intake

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just looks like a plain old non lsd s40 b000 box to me.

Anything I can do to diagnose it's condition or should I just add new oil and slap it in and see?

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See I'm not quite there yet. If this was an extra and we didn't need it somewhat quickly I would, so once we get the bad box out maybe I'll open that up. I'm gonna ask the auto tech instructor if he has a student he'd trust to inspect it.

Other than that the place that replaced my seals and isb claims a free inspection, but I have worries about the reassembly if I declined/didn't need any work. Isb and seals were nearly 600 bucks... but I'm happy enough I guess it still works food.

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just for parts?

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah they did me no favors except for delivering a working tranny. Still tryna find someone that can evaluate the new box though cuz I felt it was a bit steep at the time too

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tacoma WA ...still tryna find someone to check it out, haven't given up hope yet

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
$500 shop labor vs our privateer labor, about right.

Last I looked it was 7.5 hours book rate for a rebuild, 13 hours total is R&R'd.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts