Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am installing a set of ARP headstuds in my d15b and im having a problem with two of the studs not threading in all the way. I realize that the one closest to the vtec solenoid will sit higher than the others. But i have 2 studs( one closest to the water pump and one 2 in from the left on the intake side) that just wont thread in all the way. I measured and they sit about 1cm higher than all the others. Ive ran a tap through the threads 1,000 times. Im getting frusturated and i dont know what to do.
Any bit of help would e greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
is it too high for you to put the washer on it and tighten the nut down and provide clamping force? if it is then you may need to get a shorter stud or run the threads a little bit farther into the block.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is it too high for you to put the washer on it and tighten the nut down and provide clamping force? if it is then you may need to get a shorter stud or run the threads a little bit farther into the block.
No it itsnt. I havent even put the head on. Im just saying that there are 2 headstuds that dont thread in as far as the other ones. So there sitting about 1cm above the rest. Im assuming this isnt normal and theres something wrong. I just dont know what to do.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
did you chase the threads in the block? if not they probably are not threading in all the way cause of shit in the threads, cause the z6 set is the proper set as they use the same exact head

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya ive chased the threads in the block a million times and i cant get these 2 studs to thread in all the way.

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
I dont think it matters its not like every hole is going to be the exact same depth.
Put the head on and see if they trq down right.
If they dont use a washer.
You could just measure the depth for each of the holes maybe they come that way from the factory. Use a tooth pick and a marker to check depth.
If the depth is shallow from the factory. Then chasing the threads for the 100001st time isnt going to help you.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
No it itsnt. I havent even put the head on. Im just saying that there are 2 headstuds that dont thread in as far as the other ones. So there sitting about 1cm above the rest. Im assuming this isnt normal and theres something wrong. I just dont know what to do.
your fine and this is normal. my block did the exact same thing and i had no issues.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

This is a picture of the headstuds in the block. As you can see...on the back side...the head stud 2nd from the left and the one on the far right are sitting higher than the other ones. Does this look okay? Just want to make sure before i put the head gasket and head back on.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
The mounting surface for teh bolts/studs on teh head are not 100% level

did you install teh ehad and try it? as long as you didnt torque them down, it doesnt risk the agsket or studs/botls stretching

TRY IT!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put the head on tonite and those 2 studs still sit higher...even with the head on.
What do i do now? This is really starting to bug me.

·
Registered
98 honda civic LX
1,765 Posts
you chased out the threads but did you flush the stud holes? use air first then use something like brake clean to flush out whats left. try that. geta bolt and see if the botton is dirty if so....more cleaning for you,

1 - 20 of 27 Posts