Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a zex stage 2 cam and JGE valvetrain on its way (valve springs, retainers, stainless valves, oem seals...) i know ill need to get new valve guides im shure and i wanna get arp hardware but is there anything im missing? and is anyone running a stage 2 zex cam in their d15b/z6 head? if so hows it perform?? thanks guys

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
JGE junk? Hope you didn't pay for Ti retainers.

Valve guides? Your gonna drop $500 on used head for new guides? Cheaper to buy a good head.

Why the ARP hardware?????

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JGE junk? Hope you didn't pay for Ti retainers.

Valve guides? Your gonna drop $500 on used head for new guides? Cheaper to buy a good head.

Why the ARP hardware?????
oh JGE's no good? i never heard anything about them, the package had stainless valves and titanium retainers btw. i didnt say it needed guides...i just figured it'd need new ones if i re-did the valvetrain...and yes my head is in perfect condition. ummm the arp hardware cause its good?? if jge is junk what are you running for valvetrain?

·
Registered
76 Posts
you shouldnt need new guides, but id recommend valve stem seals, and make sure you lap the valves,

its a process in which you use a lapping compound (liquid sandpaper basically) and put in on the edge of the valves then place the valves in the head and turn them back and forth using a lapping stick (stick with a suction cup to hold on to the valve with) to sand the valve seat even with the valve to ensure a good seal

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54657

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you shouldnt need new guides, but id recommend valve stem seals, and make sure you lap the valves,

its a process in which you use a lapping compound (liquid sandpaper basically) and put in on the edge of the valves then place the valves in the head and turn them back and forth using a lapping stick (stick with a suction cup to hold on to the valve with) to sand the valve seat even with the valve to ensure a good seal

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54657
nice thanks for the tip ill make shure thats done when i throw in my valvetrain

·
Registered
407 Posts

the guides might be 5$ but you are in for a surprise if you think thats including instalation. make sure you clarify this with the machine shop because it will sting if they do the work and you have a large unexpected expense.

ive had both the zex and crower
springs/retainers
my opinion is to always run the cam with the manufacturer recomended valve spring. while your at it, add the retainer as well. there are a lot of good reasons for this.
engine masters racing mag did a good article in early winter 06 about "valve training" you may want to look for.

m.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
advanced auto parts sells replacement guides for about 4 bucks a pop... you sure tranz?
if I hand you 16 guides, how you gonna put them in?????

first off, heating the head up without warping it not easy....

Tony, who won last Engine Masters, had to replace 2 guides in my ported head......

·
Registered
'06 GMC Sierra Crew
170 Posts
I've had all guides replaced for around $250. Gotta double-check the invoice, but i'm pretty sure it was no more than that. Only a few were bad, but i said fugg it, replace them all!

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
the guides might be 5$ but you are in for a surprise if you think thats including instalation. make sure you clarify this with the machine shop because it will sting if they do the work and you have a large unexpected expense.
when they called and told me i needed them, i asked if the price was installed. they said yes.

if they try and charge me out the ass for them, they can keep the fucking head

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

ive had both the zex and crower
springs/retainers
my opinion is to always run the cam with the manufacturer recomended valve spring. while your at it, add the retainer as well. there are a lot of good reasons for this.
engine masters racing mag did a good article in early winter 06 about "valve training" you may want to look for.

m.

ok cool thanks ill get the zex springs and retainers then to go with the cam

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
called my machine shop today...

real deal is that the guides are only about $2.61/ea, i asked what the labor was for install(since the guy that quoted me wasnt actually the foreman) he said that install is $6/ea. so $8.61 each IMO isnt bad at all. doesnt come anywhere near $500...

$8.61 x 8 = $68.88, if it were all 16 it would still only be $137.76

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
if I hand you 16 guides, how you gonna put them in?????
Air chisel them out with a straight punch and press them in. Used to do it all the time at the machine shop I worked at in high school. Ream them by hand after instalation then get a valve job done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts