Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My del sol failed emissions in Tx. Engine is a D15B. Here are the numbers:
High Speed HC-188, CO-.71, NOx-186, O2-0.1; Low speed HC-240, CO-1.19, NOx- 1251, O2-0.4. I bought this car about 6 months ago and know nothing about its history, just that it had an engine swap to a JDM d15b VTEC

What else I know: ECU is a P06 (although I don't know if it was chipped), the EVAP purge cut-off valve had been disconnected. Smells "gassy" when I first start, probably running rich too judging from the O2 readings.

Aside from the standard tune-up advice any ideas on where to look?

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
any cels??? a little alcohol in the gas helps ;-) and also if you retard the dizzy before going through that helps too

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
lol, how about passing without a cat with flying colors with the method i just said ;-)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He never hooked up the vtec, still running old ecu. Gonna upgrade to a p08(and get some HP) see how it goes from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still Failed, but better

Swapped out to the P08, now I am just a little high on HC, CO NOx went way down. I did make sure it was hot.

Gonna do what I should have started with: Engine has to be running rich (high HC, high CO, no O2). Gonna check out the fuel control system starting with sensors and vacuum lines to make sure closed loop control is working right. Then work my way through the ignition system, it all looks pretty recent.

This engine should be able to pass this test - if it is running right.

·
Registered
517 Posts
What part of texas you in friend?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
p28 w/ fresh tune up, running for an hour or so and 87 oct passed in cali (my EH3 when i first got it). if your failing, there is something wrong with the emmisions stuff.. more then likely, you are going to need a cat.

btw: 87 will burn more throughly and the gases will be very hot. this will help with heating the cat and help with a more solid burn.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
btw: 87 will burn more throughly and the gases will be very hot. this will help with heating the cat and help with a more solid burn.
interesting...

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Cant you people who have to do those test just have a certain tune for that? dropt he chip in, boom pass. take chip out..back to power?

·
Registered
eg9
344 Posts
p28 w/ fresh tune up, running for an hour or so and 87 oct passed in cali (my EH3 when i first got it). if your failing, there is something wrong with the emmisions stuff.. more then likely, you are going to need a cat.

when i failed emmisions on my truck the smog dude told me to put in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and use premium gas. the main reason i failed was a hollowed out cat and once i did what he said i took it back same place and it passed! barely but it passed and i did nothing other to it why is that? i doubt my injecters were clogged cuz it ran the same.

·
Registered
95 integra
504 Posts
will not work in cali though... since a visual includes being able to see the cat :-|.
ok just hollow out the cat and leave it on there you go!:bigok:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
when i failed emmisions on my truck the smog dude told me to put in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and use premium gas. the main reason i failed was a hollowed out cat and once i did what he said i took it back same place and it passed! barely but it passed and i did nothing other to it why is that? i doubt my injecters were clogged cuz it ran the same.
thats an intresting one.. the cleaner does delute gas though...

ok just hollow out the cat and leave it on there you go!:bigok:
lol.. yeah, thats not really going to fly either.. they tap it.. well some do. just takes one though!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In Houston, just got in from garage. MAP sensor bad (imagine that!) everything else looks good.

Any ideas for which MAP? Where to get one?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts