Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear experts, my civic has D15B dual vtec motor. its idle air control valve is having problem, upon troubleshooting found that the intake manifold is of some other engine. i am attaching pictures below of my intake manifold . on the back of Manifold P2J is mentioned. now i am totally confused should i install proper OEM manifold which comes for D15B dual vtec of should i keep this manifold and just replace the idle air control valve. please help for this. which IIRC code is mentioned on OEM Intake manifold of D15B Dual vtec engine??

Automotive tire Grey Automotive design Rim Tints and shades

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive air manifold Engineering

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Grey

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI, 95 Civic HB CX
2,439 Posts
Was the Idle Air Control working with that intake until now?

If so, then the intake can stay, it shouldn't need to be replaced.

I'm not exactly sure what engines were available in your country, but that intake manifold looks like it is from a D16Y8 or equivalent with EGR.

Since the engine wiring harness appears stock, the wiring diagrams, schematics and troubleshooting procedures for your D15B engine should still apply to that style of IAC.

If you diagnose the fact that it is an IAC and it needs to be replaced, that particular IAC came on MANY different manual OBD1 cars, you should not have a hard time finding a replacement.

Here's an ebay listing showing the original Denso part number. Listing says it is interchangable between 1992-2000 EX or SI D16Z6 and D16Y8 manual vehicles:

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Was the Idle Air Control working with that intake until now?

If so, then the intake can stay, it shouldn't need to be replaced.

I'm not exactly sure what engines were available in your country, but that intake manifold looks like it is from a D16Y8 or equivalent with EGR.

Since the engine wiring harness appears stock, the wiring diagrams, schematics and troubleshooting procedures for your D15B engine should still apply to that style of IAC.

If you diagnose the fact that it is an IAC and it needs to be replaced, that particular IAC came on MANY different manual OBD1 cars, you should not have a hard time finding a replacement.

Here's an ebay listing showing the original Denso part number. Listing says it is interchangable between 1992-2000 EX or SI D16Z6 and D16Y8 manual vehicles:

Hope this helps!

Hey, thanks. Yes IAC was working previously. This setup was installed from an imported civic Vi-Rs JDM. So its from japanese vi-rs
About the wiring yes harness is original. ECU is also P2J-003. But if you noticed this manifold the IAC is outside and as per honda D15b p2j engine and manifold comes with IAC mounted on the throttle body and has 3 connect wires by default OEM. Current mine has 2 connect wires IAC and mounted on the mani instead of throttle body. Any leads??

Doest installing different throttle and mani effect on motor performance compared to stock ones? Does it effect vtec engagement? Or disables 1 vtec out of 2?

·
Registered
'91 CRX DX, D15B (D15Z7), ZC L3
145 Posts
The automatic ECUs (CVT and 4-speed) expect the 3-wire rotary IAC. The manual ECUs (such as the P2J-003) expect the 2-wire solenoid IAC. Your manifold looks correct for for a manual transmission setup.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI, 95 Civic HB CX
2,439 Posts
Hey, thanks. Yes IAC was working previously. This setup was installed from an imported civic Vi-Rs JDM. So its from japanese vi-rs
About the wiring yes harness is original. ECU is also P2J-003. But if you noticed this manifold the IAC is outside and as per honda D15b p2j engine and manifold comes with IAC mounted on the throttle body and has 3 connect wires by default OEM. Current mine has 2 connect wires IAC and mounted on the mani instead of throttle body. Any leads??

Doest installing different throttle and mani effect on motor performance compared to stock ones? Does it effect vtec engagement? Or disables 1 vtec out of 2?
Was this car ever an automatic? Or was it converted to manual at some point?

If it has always been a manual, then the 2 wire IAC is the correct one. As @bobski stated, automatics received the throttle body mounted 3 wire IACs for the 92-00 era.

Again, if it was running fine before with the 2 wire IAC in place, then I don't foresee you having an issue. Just diagnose the IAC issue like normal, using procedures and schematics from a factory service manual for a 92-00 civic manual transmission vehicle. IAC wiring, pinouts and such should all be the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

If it has always been a manual, then the 2 wire IAC is the correct one. As @bobski stated, automatics received the throttle body mounted 3 wire IACs for the 92-00 era.

Again, if it was running fine before with the 2 wire IAC in place, then I don't foresee you having an issue. Just diagnose the IAC issue like normal, using procedures and schematics from a factory service manual for a 92-00 civic manual transmission vehicle. IAC wiring, pinouts and such should all be the same.
Yeah it was manual since day one with s20 tranny.

Ok ill be doing as you saidm thanks

Ok, thanks for the assistance

1 - 6 of 6 Posts