Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started the tear down of the D15B today. Everything went smoothly, had a bit of bother getting the Crank Pulley Bolt will get someone with an impact wrench to give it ago tomorrow. Considering this is my first build I was thinking about giving the bottom end to someone to inspect and to replace any parts.

Just a couple of questions,

Would it be best to do the above or to try tackle it myself ? Before the build I was hoping to do the work to the bottom end and to send the head to a shop to get done, but thinking about it I want everything to be done right and to work. Would it be wise to do the work to the bottom end myself ?

Also if I want to swap anything out now like pistons, header etc what can I go with, will any D15B upgrades all fit ?

This is gonna be a N/A street build which is my daily driver.

Thanks
Brainz

·
Registered
civic
1,750 Posts
i have the same engine , i found that most of the parts from the D14A1 fit , like gaskets ect , warter pump , timming belt ,
why are you doing a rebuild???? did the engine have a problem ????
was it smoking ????
all the best

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the engine not in a car, so Iam not 100% sure about its condition internally. Seeming it was not in a car, i thought why not. Gives me a chance to learn a couple of things along the way.

Jsut wanted to see what mods I could to to try squeeze out some more power.

In the end this engine will be replacing my D13B which is sitting in my EG3.

I was gonna replace bearings to start with so at least I know the bottom end is in good working order.

How did you find the D15B to get power out of ?

·
Registered
civic
1,750 Posts
it not bad at all !!!! if you mod the carbs , you can get a few more bhp , and add a header ect , very hard to find after market porfomace parts for , but you can get the cam regound , ect
have a look at the carbs thread , for some good tips+tricks

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
there isnt much aftermarket support for the 1.5 bottom ends. but you could mill the head to gain some compression. and a regrind would help. also modding the carbs will gain you a few. personally i would build an air box and run SRI down to get some colder air. im sure that would help. then your basic headers and exhaust. short ratio trannys such as Si or Ex would be a good buy also.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys, so for the bottom end i'll stick with just repalcing the bearings and piston rings.

Is there really any point chaning pistons ? I know it can be expensive to upgrade em,

A new Cam would be great, i'll contact deltacam and see what they say. Would I have to change anything else in the head with the upgraded Cam.

Iam guessing if I don't go for a too agressive cam stock will be fine ?

Also about modding the carbs I've read the carb thread and will be definitely doin as much as I can to the carbs, there is a Harley shop here in Wateford so i'll drop in and have a word with them.

I think that sounds like a plan. Have i missed anything ?

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
sounds good. there arent really any aftermarket pistons at all for the d15's. but you may be able to ask transzex or someone if there is an oem piston that will go in to raise the compression a lil. and your head will be fine with a mild regrind and not revving too high.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is PM3 pistons in the block at the moment. I've just check a site and its says they are from the D15B7 correct me if iam wrong.

Would be safe to upgrade these to something else I don't want to get too expensive and too over my head on this build as it my first.

If I could jsut say upgrade the pistons without changing the rods i would be happy enough to do that.

Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
have look at the dome top d13 or d14 pistons !!!!!!
Well yes, that would be good if someone ACTUALLY had the specs for the d13 or d14 pistons.

I've asked everywhere and no one knows the compression height or dome volume of these pistons.

Reactions: cryz2

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'll ask a friend, he teared down a D13 and measured them iirc...

Anyway, the D13 gearbox is shorter (better) than the EX / Si 'boxes, so use that one.

The head = that of a D16a6 : very popular ! Many cams, valvetrains galore, etc... BUT if you swap in a D16a6 cam, you'll have to get an electrical fuel pump as the stock one is driven by an extra cam lobe on the D13b/D15b cam which is not present on the a6 cam.

Reactions: cryz2

·
Registered
512 Posts
PM IG (D13b2), PM3 (D15b2), PM7 (D16a8/9)

The rod ends. Notice the different crank bearing diameters. So the rods are NOT interchangeable.

The piston tops.

D15 vs D13 :

D13 vs PM7 (compression height of the PM7 is 0.040" lower, D13 = D15) :

Conclusion : D13 pistons give higher compression than D15 ones. They should fit a D15.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
whoa that PM IG is the same as our local PM0 pistons,
5+ dome and 30.8 CH

yeah, it should work with a d15 non jdm vtec, and it prolly wud sit .002 above deck...

not sure though.. sum1 can accurately measure them.. and we can get solid proof...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info Orion, I do have 2 D13B2's one that is in my car at the moment which is holding no compression on 3 cyclinders, also I have another one which I was gonna swap it for.

I'll get cracking over the next week stripping them down and getting the pistons out.

Thanks again for the helpful info.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thank my mate Jelle, he's over at sohchonda.com as Shepherd Moon. :)

The D15 piston/rods are mine though. Don't look too shabby for a beaten engine IMO.

I'll lend him my measuring tool next time, but he's about to put all three different pistons in a block to compare them side by side. Should be even more interesting. ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Could you friend get the rod lenghts?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'll ask.

Watch this space. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been busy alot lately and havent been able to get the internals out of the block yet, finally got a chance last night to have look at the main bearings.

There is a grove down the middle of each journal corrospending to the grove in the bearing.

I do have the Haynes manual and it does say it some cases that this may require a new crank. I couldn't feel any sort of grove when I ran my finger over it.

Just wanted to get some other feedback on this

Thanks

Brainz

·
Registered
civic
1,750 Posts
crank should be ok , the bearings sound like that done thiar job , and saved your crank ,
you could get it regound ,at a shop , thay will give you the right bearings too ,
last crank i had done was about £70 , inc bearings vat ect

1 - 20 of 35 Posts