Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'91 CRX DX, D15B (D15Z7), DX L3
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone compared the cam from an MT D15B to a CVT D15B?
I'm running a CVT motor in my CRX with a P2J-003 ECU, 'Y8 TB and IACV (manifold drilled/tapped to accept them) and an Accord EGR solenoid. Anyway, the transition between modes (eco/16V/wild) feels pretty abrupt. Accelerating out of eco mode (exceeding the upper RPM limit) results in a plainly apparent boost in power (for the same pedal position) and fuel efficiency dropping ~10 MPG. The torque curve and FE picks back up around 4k RPM, but there's this window (3.3k-4k) where the motor is dragging torque-wise and is getting crappy fuel economy while doing it.
Which got me wondering if Honda used different cams in the auto and manual variants of the motors. That is, the CVT version got a more eco-y 12V mode with a more punchy 16V mode and the ECU simply ran the CVT such that it would avoid the RPM range between them.
Thoughts? Info? Thanks.

·
Registered
'91 CRX DX, D15B (D15Z7), DX L3
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Turns out it was the EGR solenoid. The P2J-003 solenoid has a smaller restrictor orifice on the vacuum supply port and no associated vacuum regulator. Power feels nice and linear now and getting rolling from a stop a little easier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts