Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm new to the d-series and I just picked one up a 93 eg, it has a d15b with a p20 trans and it's in limp mode and I pulled the cel code 19 it seems to point to lock up control solenoid but in my research I have not found even something close to the look of one on the car to see if that's the problem please any help or info would be great my names Tracy thanks for your time

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Hey I'm new to the d-series and I just picked one up a 93 eg, it has a d15b with a p20 trans and it's in limp mode. I pulled the cel code 19. It seems to point to lock up control solenoid, but in my research, I have not found even something close to the look of the one on the car, to see if that's the problem please any help or info would be great. My names Tracy thanks for your time.
FIXED

Hi Tracy. Welcome to the D. You have to add punctuation. Most people here will not read a post that is a run on sentence/paragraph.

Now you say you have a p20 trans, are you a manual gearbox?

Also is it a B000 or an A000? It is stamped on the housing just above the passenger side axle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thank you for your reply, sorry about the punctuation. It is a Manual gearbox, and please bare with me as I am going to check the passenger side above the axel. Thank you again

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Hey thank you for your reply, sorry about the punctuation. It is a Manual gearbox, and please bare with me as I am going to check the passenger side above the axel. Thank you again
Ok so it sounds to me like you have an auto ECU installed. The code 19 applies to autobox only. Change you ECU out with a manual ECU, and I bet your problem will be solved. GLOP

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so it sounds to me like you have an auto ECU installed. The code 19 applies to autobox only. Change you ECU out with a manual ECU, and I bet your problem will be solved. GLOP
Thank you sir, I will try this and let you know result.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
NP. Please post back. Its nice to see solutions at the end of threads... so often this is not the case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hello again just swapped out the ecu, still engine in limp mode but now no codes flash out, engine light srs light and brake like light up when cars running. I put in the old ecu and it was still the same code 19. Also I noticed the cat is glowing red after running the but it don't seem like the engine is missing.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If it's glowing, it's either clogged, or running rich, and the fuel is burning inside.

You may need to check your engine code, and make sure it matches the head, because if someone dropped a mini me in there and didn't tune it, you could have some serious problems on your hands.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had got it from a friend and it use to run I saw him drive it daily and then he let it sit and sold it to me. He had let it sit for about a year, before letting it sit he drained the fuel so the fuel didn't stay in there and all we did was put gas in it, then it started with code 19 limp mode. That's why I am very confused on what is wrong with it, because of the fact he's a good friend and it ran before he drained the gas and let it sit.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Then something took a crap in that year of non use, or he stopped running it because of that problem, and didn't tell you.

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Ive had a glowing cat from a cracked valve. Do a compression test on the car. The code 19 shouldnt affect drive-ability at all. In fact if you google search you should be able to find how to convert a auto ecu to a manual. Just have to remove a resistor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was there when he parked it then then next day draining the fuel. Still confused on what has happened but I did see something about converting a automatic ecu to be use with manual. if it is a auto ecu, why would it be running a year earlier then not run right and throw code 19 confusing to me :\

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Its not the ecu. Do a compression check and report back. Dont post until you have the numbers.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Are you reading the code right? What's the code on the side of the ecu case?

·
Registered
650 Posts
From Wiki, I'm guessing this is what you have, and not the 3 stage v-tec motor?

D15B VTEC

Found in:
1992–1995 Honda Civic Vti (Japanese Market)
1992–1998 Honda CRX DelSol (Japanese Market)
Bore and Stroke :75,0×84,5 mm
Displacement : 1,493 cc (91.1 cu in)
Rod Length : 137 mm
Rod/Stroke : 1.63
Compression : 9.3:1
Power : 130 PS (96 kW; 128 hp) at 6,800 rpm[7]
Torque: 14.1 kg·m (138 N·m) at 5,200 rpm[7]
VTEC switch over : 4,800 rpm
Redline : 7,200 rpm
Rev-limiter : 7,200 rpm
Valvetrain : SOHC VTEC (4 valves per cylinder)
Fuel Control : OBD-1
Head Code : P08
ECU Code: P08 (small case ECU)***

If you have the 3-stage:

D15B 3-Stage VTEC

See 3-stage VTEC
Found in:
1995–1998 Honda Civic Ferio Vi (EK3, Japanese market)
1999-2000 Honda Civic Vi-RS
Bore and Stroke :75,0×84,5 mm
Displacement : 1,493 cc (91.1 cu in)
Rod Length : 137 mm
Rod/Stroke : 1.62
Compression : 9.3:1
Power : 130 PS (96 kW; 128 hp) at 7,000 rpm[8]
Torque: 139 Nm at 5,300 rpm
VTEC 12-valve to 16-valve switch over : 3,000 rpm (below such engine speed, the engine is operating in 12-valve mode)[9]
VTEC high cam switch over : 6,000 rpm
Redline : 7,200 rpm
Valvetrain : SOHC, four valves per cylinder
Connecting rod length : 137 mm
Connecting rod big end diameter : 48 mm
Fuel Control : OBD2a
Head Code : P2J-07
ECU Code: P2J (small case ECU)*** AUTO CVT: P2J-J63*** MT P2J-003**

Are you sure you have the proper ecu/head/distributor on the motor?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have tested the distributer with my power probe and found it was bad. I had went the to junk yard and got parts off d15b7 thinking it's the same thing, meaning I got the manual ecu from it to test and the distributer, idk if the Parts could be doing it I just thought a d15b is a d15b and the parts should be able to be used, I am doing a compression test today and will get back with you on the numbers. Thank you all for your time and advice, I usually work on diesels which is why I am not all to familiar with this so thanks for your patients.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I believe it is the d15b vtec not the 3 stage, so if it is japan market only where am I to find the right parts or what motor can I cross parts over from?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yeah, you can't use a b7 ecu on that motor. The b7 is a non vtec motor, so you won't ever get it to run right on that. I'm not familiar with the d15b's, so I couldn't tell you what will and will not work, but from what I understand, it uses many of the same parts as certain USDM motors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Swapped new distributer motor runs ok, no limp mode and the cat is now not glowing red. Tho the cel srs and brake light still stay light up, but the ecu from the d15b7 seems to make it run better then the auto ecu that came out of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts