Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So this is my D15B Honda Civic. It is SOHC Non-Vtec JDM. I’m looking to build this car but I am no going overboard. So basically looking at between 180-200 horsepower. Budget about 2k. Turbo or no turbo isn’t a problem either way but I am a total noob when it comes to this. Can someone either direct me to a build with this same engine or maybe post parts that I can then search for and buy? For instance when I was looking at possibly piecing together an eBay turbo kit none of them connected to the intake manifold like this one. Not sure if I need to look at something specific. Thanks for input

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The original motor before is d16y7 1.6 usdm for reference. So not sure what all is what. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a specific kit to buy even if I spent more money without having to prefab everything?

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
650 Posts
First things are first, look up a z6 or y8 intake swap, ditch the exhaust manifold and cat, find a tuner and tuning solution to fit your plans and budget, get it running right after those steps are taken, then check the budget to see what turbo you can afford.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I live in an area that has emissions and safety checks so can’t ditch catalytic converter altogether. Would have to see not sure if high flow would still pass? Could go that route. Will look into the intake manifolds though. Thanks!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,224 Posts
you have a d15b block and a shitty y7 intake manfold. do some googling to see where to find the head stamp and go from there.

you could save yourself a whole headache with parts and buy a z6/a6/y8/y7 block and build it up with a notec or vtec head.
the 1.6 just makes piecing parts much easier than guessing if its meant for a usdm z6 or whatever other variation there is.

then, when you do that, you can either keep it stock with high comp, or fight emissions and do a obd1 conversion so you can tune it properly.

or go the expensive carb compliant route

GO-AUTOWORKS Civic CRX Integra Complete Turbo Kits D16 B16 B18 H22

Kraftwerks Supercharger Race Kit - D-series

Reactions: EFB055

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks super helpful! Makes total sense when I see builds and none of them have that kind of head.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One other quick question. Looking for normal parts (belts etc) could I just use parts from a 1995 Honda del sol? I noticed they have a sohc 1493cc 1.5l in them so making sure? Thanks in advance ps. Decided I might go compression build. Reall don’t want to sacrifice ac and power steering. Their doesn’t seem to be any space to fit a turbo in their without removal of both or just ac.

·
5,224 Posts
look at the location of the dipstick. that isnt a 92-95 d15b. thats a 96+ d15b, which is why I said to check the head stamp and see what it came off of. that might be a jdm notec d15b which is a usdm y7.

see

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So what I’m gathering is when I look for parts just look up the original 1.6L that was in the car. Only change is the block is d15b itself. Everything else revolves around the 1.6L?

·
5,224 Posts
Id love to say "yes" but I may be wrong. it could be the belts from the usdm d15b7 for all Ive read. are the part numbers still eligible on the new engine belts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That’s the fun part is they are worn too much. I am going to have to replace power steering belt before too long but it’s worn down quite a bit and can’t read numbers.

·
5,224 Posts
4PK845 take your belts off and go to autozone. ask for that part number and see if youre in the ballpark.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Could I buy a head like this and put it on? Or would this be a good buy to start the build and make it easier for parts?

·
5,224 Posts
sure.
Id go with a 1.6 bottom end since parts are more readily available, but thats me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well It is a d16y6 1.6 originally. I believe the guy I bought it from just changed the block to d15b. That’s why I was thinking change block out to the d16z6. I figure from there the build would be so much easier with parts etc.

·
5,224 Posts
if you have a d16y already laying around, then rebuild that for what you need while you enjoy the fuel economy of the y7.
a z6 crank will drop in a y8 fyi.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts