Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, in trying to figure out what was worn with my motor I took a careful inspection of the block, and there are a few scratched and dings on the face. I realize this is not good, and from what I am told a thousandth of an inch can be the difference between working car and leaking head gasket.

Anyways thats my question, what kind of tollerances does the block have? how deep a scratch is ok?

I was told just to sand the block down with fine 800 grit sand paper... but that doesnt sound right to me. Sound like if its that bad I need to have the block resurfaced planed (dont want to do that at all *&*&(&) I will get pictured up as soon as possible.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Depends on how deep it is. If its not that bad @ all you will be fine just use some copper spray on HG when you assemble head to block.. Or you can take block to maching shop and have them shave a little to bring it back to life it is that bad..

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pics

http://www.y0urgirl.net/cars/d15bcivic/index.html

Damnit, the camera was auto and corrected the image which makes it hard to say any scratches. I will re-take the photos tonight.

If it makes any difference I am going to put a cometic HG on this and ARP head studs are comming in today, boost by spring ;-).

Anyways heres what I got so far... will repost.

EDIT: I can feel some scratches with my figernail if that helps at all.

·
Registered
545 Posts
really hard to tell in those pictures. shouldve taken some macro shots. Anyhow, from what I can see, it doesn't look bad. Can your run your fingernail across the scratch to where it catches? Does it have sharp burrs?

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Everything looks fine too me.. Your head is always going to look like that when you pull it off block because oil runs down it from inside of head, no becuase of scratches..

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didnt notice any burs when I did, I will check again tonight when I take the new pictures of the scratches. I was hoping for a HELLZ YEA on the ARP head studs and the Comteic gasket! :) Cummon now HELLLZ YA

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok well...

Well I never got the pics up because My Mech took a look and said it was fine, so I scrubed the head and block some special disc he gave me and it cleaned it right up. Now I put in my head studs, and took my cometic gasket and covered it in indian head shellac. Now I torqued my head down in 3 increments, 25 lbs, 40 lbs, and 65, and made it all the way to the 10th and final head stud and realized the bolt was hitting into the socket and I couldn't tighten it any further without getting a deep socket, so I left it like that. I hope its going to be ok, I dont see why not... but I will tighten it the when I get home tonight with the deep socket (12 point) and then make sure all them are set to 65. Take it for a nice 30 minute drive, cool down, 30 minute drive, cool down and then re-torque. Sound good?

Let me know what you guys think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts