Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'94 DX Sedan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a JDM d15b non vtec that needs one hell of a valve job. Since I have to get the car out by Friday, I have a remanned d15b1 head I can put on it. I'll definitely lose hp by doing this (d15b is 103hp, pretty sure the b1 is rated for 70) so I'm wondering what parts I could move from the b to the b1 head to mitigate the horsepower loss.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
508 Posts
The biggest difference between the HP of SOHC D's is the injection type. If you're MPFI, you wont get the same power disparity as what you're quoting. If you're twin carb you'll need to swap the cam into the b1 head anyway to retain the mechanical fuel pump gear.

I know the B1's had a shitty DPFI system (which i doubt you're using), which was the main cause of the low power figure, but there might be cam differences too... Someone else will need to chime in.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
The blocks/rotating assembly are probably identical.

You will indeed lose quite a bit of power going from 16v to 8v

But then, you said your d15b head needs a valvejob badly, so perhaps you wont see much of a loss. leaky valves can steal quite a bit of horsepower and fuel mileage

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I get my d15b motors mixed up when they are not USDM B2 or B7.

looks like you wont see a decrease, if anything, you should see an improvement if the valves are terrible

1 - 10 of 10 Posts