Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 civic si, rewired and jumped to obd1, I put in a d15b Vtec, obd2, I'm trying to run it with a p28, and dizzy stock for d15b (obd2) I rewired the dizzy to obd1 plug because z6 dizzy didn't line up, so, timing seems off in ignition, did I screw up trying to run that way? Seems it should work if I could advance to where z6 dizzy wanted to be. Please help.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
help with what?

make yourself a bit mroe clear please.

Regardless, here is how I would jump inot this if it was my car:

1) grab a timing light. have car fully warm prior to shutting down. find service 2 wire plug near ecu in kick panel. jump with a paperclip or wire. turn ignition on, wait a few seconds, fire it up. leave it running, check timing. set according to technical service manual.

2) did you try diagnosising whether you have a bad or weak ignition coil? you are not on your good ol 30 year old distributor anymore. newer tech still potentially has problems.

3) yank spark plugs out. check gap, check condition, check for oil leaks surrounding them

EDIT d16z6 distributor should work fine, the d15b vtec head is the same casting as the d16z6 for the most part, depending on which vtec setup is on the head

·
Registered
Civic/92Achieva H.O.
1,240 Posts
That's a Y8 series head, the P2J, setting timing will be just like a Y8 on a obd1 ecu. I believe the solution can be found on here, there's lots of threads regarding timing the y8 on obd1

·
Registered
Civic/92Achieva H.O.
1,240 Posts
That ecu will need to be socketed, and something like a demon with Neptune to dial in the timing. You'll also need IAB output added to control 12 valve to 16 valve mode operation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay sorry I wasn't clear enough, car has been mechanically timed twice, it's an ignition timing issue. I'm thinking customy8 understood me, that sounds right for what I'm facing. Because the Ecu seems toto want toto be timed further ahead, and since I need tuning and chip to run my 3 stage anyway guess car will go to speedfactory, lol. Once I've finished rear mounting my turbo set up of course

·
Registered
Civic/92Achieva H.O.
1,240 Posts
Good one lol.
Have someone socket the ecu and add iab the using the link bellow. with the iab mod you can run the first vtec solenoid direct with 12v provided by the ecu, otherwise a standard iab kit/install will only ground a device, such as a relay that could provide the voltage to the solenoid. Look in my previous threads, lots of random 3 stage info in there. ohh, and having a tune on chip will work if you set 12valve to 16valve mode by rpm only and tune the maps accordingly, which can feel like crap depending on how you drive.

PGMFI.ORG - Grassroots ECU Development - Library . AddIABToP28

But with a demon2 you get up to 3 switchable tunes, "Manage And Switch Between Up To 3 Separate Tunes (Demon Only). Each Separate Tune Includes A Fully Separate Set Of Maps and Parameters."

http://www.xenocron.com/neptune-demon-package-p-223.html

·
Premium Member
'92 CX Twincharged D
750 Posts
Good one lol.
Have someone socket the ecu and add iab the using the link bellow. with the iab mod you can run the first vtec solenoid direct with 12v provided by the ecu, otherwise a standard iab kit/install will only ground a device, such as a relay that could provide the voltage to the solenoid. Look in my previous threads, lots of random 3 stage info in there. ohh, and having a tune on chip will work if you set 12valve to 16valve mode by rpm only and tune the maps accordingly, which can feel like crap depending on how you drive.

PGMFI.ORG - Grassroots ECU Development - Library . AddIABToP28

But with a demon2 you get up to 3 switchable tunes, "Manage And Switch Between Up To 3 Separate Tunes (Demon Only). Each Separate Tune Includes A Fully Separate Set Of Maps and Parameters."

Xenocron Tuning: Neptune RTP and Moates Demon 2 Package - Realtime Tuning Board #[Neptune-RTP]
I have chipped, IAB added and ran a ostrich with crome pro dealer on my son's 1g integra with a D16a6 bottom with a D15z7 head.
Works well still need to finish the ignition tuning on the high end.

But he gets 40mpg as daily driver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts