Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive just finished rebuilding my jdm d15, timing is right to my knowledge (pointers level with head, crank mark lines up) valves are set correctly. the motor starts fine, but when its warm it surges slightly, when you tap the throttle it just wants to die. you have to rev it a few times just to get it up the range..

i litterally reversed straight back off my drive then tried to pull back up (quite a steep hill) and it just bogged to the point of near death. i had to rev the crap out of it and bring the clutch up slightly just to move about ten yards. so my question is..where the shit have i gone wrong? would this be a sensor issue or something more serious?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a jdm d15b. to be fair i havent had chance to get my hands on a timing gun so it might be a static problem..it wouldnt be a vaccum problem or iacv would it?

·
Registered
^^^^
2,102 Posts
If you have set the dizzy timing with a gun, it could very well be that (not pulling)...or a combination
of both retarded dizzy timing and cam timing.

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
first thing I thought when you said it 'surged' was a vacuum leak. if you can get it to idle, spray carb cleaner around the intake gasket or anywhere there could possibly be a vacuum leak. listen for the idle to change.... Also, have you checked compression across all cylinders?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
its a jdm d15b. to be fair i havent had chance to get my hands on a timing gun so it might be a static problem..it wouldnt be a vaccum problem or iacv would it?
Final chance, WHICH D15B do you have?

4-5 choices, pick the right one.

·
Registered
92 cx
930 Posts
My car has that problem too, but its b/c the stock ecu pulls my timing so much its sad. What's worse is there is no OBD line to connect to.

My guess is timing, or maybe your clutch is done.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
clutch is good, changed it just begore i pulled the motor. probably is timing off a tooth

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
the fact that you say it starts fine, and it only bogs under load, doesn't necessarily sound like a timing issue to me, I'm still feeling maybe vacuum leak (bad intake gasket seal, or worse, bad head gasket seal) I would def check compression if it were me, it's an easy check, easier than messing with the timing belt.....

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
jdm d15b vtec, can i be any more specific?
cam timing is wrong, you don't use the flats on the cam gear, that is for D15 nonVTEC.

This is why I was asking which D15B you had.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
....still, that doesnt tell me which D15 marks to use, do i line up the same as a Z6 head as its the same head code?

sorry for my noobness =/

1 - 20 of 26 Posts