Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I jsut read the article with the ZC head thrown onto a D16a1 block. My friend has a single cam ZC block with a D16A1 head. So after some talking he says that it will work with some modification. Now I am not new to this, but I am new to the single cam. I have been working on lots of 6.0L and 6.4L at work so this should be something new.

I have a D15B non vtec block and I also have a D16A1 head. To make everything work I was thinking that using the main crank gear (the one with the teeth on it) and swapping it onto the D15 crank, or atempting to fit a single cam cam gear to the DOHC cams. And then i found a nice little volvo t3 turbo with no shaft play that I wanted to run.

As for the ECU I was thinking of running a PG7 and running 3 to 5 pounds pre-tune, and then after that have it set to 12 pounds track and 6 pounds daily driving.

You guys think this set up will work? I already have most the parts, cept for the turbo, manifold, piping, and intercooler and waste gate. Snatched the BOV off the volvo today lol

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, let me re-explain it.

pretty much a D15 block with a D16A1 head, I am told it works, but not only told, I drove a hatch with a similar set up.

the cam gears and the crank gears. Since the DOHC has like 40 teeth on the cam gears, do I need to change the gear on the SOHC crank to a 20 tooth, or is it that much already?

And for the dizzy I am told to use a SOHC USDM Civic/CRX Si OBD0 Dizzy and told it should fit no problem

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
ive read that its a mission to failure. but i would love to see someone do it. i wouldnt mind doing it. hehe

as for the crank tooth count, id say go outside and have a peek at your block :p

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol well after reading the thread on here with the D16a1 block mated to a zc head, I figure it should work. And besides, if you can mate a ZC DOHC block to a D series sohc non vtec head and such, then this should work. The only thing I have to figure out is the teeth count and some other stuff. I also figured the whole ecu issue out last night. called my friend from ground zero and he said the same. Tomorrow during my lunch break I will start on the heads and aligning everything. So i will post pictures up of what I find.

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
lol well after reading the thread on here with the D16a1 block mated to a zc head, I figure it should work. And besides, if you can mate a ZC DOHC block to a D series sohc non vtec head and such, then this should work. The only thing I have to figure out is the teeth count and some other stuff. I also figured the whole ecu issue out last night. called my friend from ground zero and he said the same. Tomorrow during my lunch break I will start on the heads and aligning everything. So i will post pictures up of what I find.
wait...correct me if im wrong but isnt the a1 a dohc already so mating a dohc zc head to it would be like saying you put a z6 head on your y8 and call it unique

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
wait...correct me if im wrong but isnt the a1 a dohc already so mating a dohc zc head to it would be like saying you put a z6 head on your y8 and call it unique
I believe it's a typo???

:shrug:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, I'm talking about putting a dohc head on a sohc block. It has been done before on this site. the guy did a D16A6 block with a D16 dohc head. I have all the time in the world to do this really. I'm pretty much hiding my car form people since it has been egged, broken into and een stalked by people who want some of my stuff.

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
no, I'm talking about putting a dohc head on a sohc block. It has been done before on this site. the guy did a D16A6 block with a D16 dohc head. I have all the time in the world to do this really. I'm pretty much hiding my car form people since it has been egged, broken into and een stalked by people who want some of my stuff.
then it was a typo becuase the d16a1 is the american dohc d series. yes the dohc head on sohc block has been done but worth the time effort or money no.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
give me a day to grab a new camera and i will. broken plastic, almost nothing in my car, and my rim has some egg left on it from sunday as well. After reading the write up on here several times, I think it is worth it. I am one for having a quick motor like all of you are, but I would rather be different. So this is a good way to go out there pretty much

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
here is a picture of were the plastic was. I took it off in search of another one.

but i changed plans. I am turboing the single slam, and then the DOHC will be mated to a ZC block. Turns out that ZC blocks WERE built for the D16A1 nd other d series DOHC

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol well I decided that yesterday around 11 last night when I order my turbo and manifold. pulled the head last night and it needs a cleaning and then I am increasing the combustion chamber volume by a few cc's to drop compression just a tad. after that its onto fabbing up piping for the side mount intercooler ill be using on the inside. dont feel like letting anyone know I am turbo when I am driving, and dont want those theifs to remember the car either so I am painting it a different color too

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
pulled the head last night and it needs a cleaning and then I am increasing the combustion chamber volume by a few cc's to drop compression just a tad.
Hold on a second... you're doing what? Stock compression should be just fine for mild boost. Also, I wouldn't be just taking a Dremel to your combustion chambers. At the very least, how are you going to CC them afterwards to make sure they are all the same volume?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
actually I am having a master tech at work help me with everything. No dremil tools here. Just a small shop he has in his garage.
If I wasn't having him help me, what would be the best way? just in case his way doesnt work out.
And your sure the stock block and head are good enough for just a bit of boost? what is the max you would say?

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
For the most part, if you want to lower your CR, you use a different set of pistons. The D15 has even weaker rods than the d16, but should be OK up to 180-200WHp, if it's tuned correctly. I have no idea what you would do to modify your combustion chambers. Most porting takes place in the runners and bowls under the seats. Here's a link on some more porting info:

http://theoldone.com/articles/d16a_head/

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool thanks. Yeah he has been building up motors for a while. Good thing is, is that he has an extra d16 head that we can practice on. I may even end up keeping that head too. Well I am only aiming for around 150 whp, just looking for better than the D15B1 power, but with boost pretty much. I got bit by the boost bug 2 months ago when I started pulling 6.0 and 7.3 ford diesels apart at work everyday. So boost is kinda the world i live in now

·
Registered
honda coupe
169 Posts
In that case i think your looking to wanting to make over 150whp since you got the boost fever now. Good luck with the mods. tell me how it goes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts